Politics Avian Flu

Jamison

Cadet
U.S. A Step Behind Bird Flu
Oct. 9, 2005

Good news: scientists have not only reconstructed the genetic sequence of the 1918 flu virus, which killed as many as 50 million people, they've learned that it was a bird flu that jumped to humans who then passed it on to each other.

Bad news: there are a lot of similarities between the 1918 virus and the new flu that's killed millions of birds, and at least 60 of the 116 people who've gotten it as it's begun to march across Asia. It's those similarities that have driven this past week's alarming headlines, CBS News correspondent Martha Teichner reports.

"The world is obviously unprepared or inadequately prepared for the potential of a pandemic," says Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt.

Leavitt was a speaker at an international conference on flu preparedness in Washington attended by 80 nations. Some of whom it seems are way ahead of us in stockpiling the antiviral drug Tamiflu. So if a pandemic is truly on the way, the United States won't have enough.

No doubt, recalling Hurricane Katrina the president was all over the flu issue at his news conference talking about quarantines.

And who best to be able to effect a quarantine: one option is the use of a military that's able to plan and move.

On Friday, President Bush met with drug company officials, urging them to speed up production of flu vaccine.

So why the urgency and why now?

"The lethal capacity of this virus is very, very high, so it's a deadly virus that humans have not been exposed to before. That's a very bad combination," says Dr. Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University.

"We're only missing one more piece before it becomes a pandemic and that is the ability to be transmitted from person to person as opposed to simply from birds or fowl to humans," Redlener explains.

Which is exactly what happened in the 1918 flu.

Half a million Americans died of it. Maybe 20,000 die in a normal flu season.

In WWI, more soldiers died of the flu than on the battlefield. Living together in close quarters, they were literally attacked in their beds. They got the sniffles one day and were often dead the next.

"People described military camps: they say the bodies were stacked up like cordwood," New York Times science writer Gina Kolata says.

Kolata wrote a book about the 1918 flu. "Never in the recorded history of the world has an infectious disease killed so many people in such a short time," Kolata says.

Most vulnerable were children under 15 and adults between the ages of 20 and 40. For every one person who died, something like 100 got sick.

We told you it was good news that scientists have managed to recreate the 1918 flu. Here's why:

"We can take these genes and sequence them," microbiologist Adolfo Garcia-Sastre says.

Using its genetic signature to clone the virus, Garcia-Sastre and his colleagues at Mt. Sinai school of Medicine in New York are on the verge of determining exactly how a virus mutates and turns deadly, triggering a pandemic.

"We'll be able to predict this type of events," Garcia-Sastre says. Garcia-Sastre added that his team hopes to predict not only when the virus might jump from bird to man and then man to man, but also the lethalness of the flu.

Researchers argue that any risk caused by recreating the virus is offset by what can be learned, but none of this would even be happening if it weren't for an amazing medical detective story.

"This process has been a nine-year effort from that first moment," Dr. Jeffrey Taubenberger says.

Taubenberger, a molecular biologist at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington was the lead detective: the man who tracked down the 1918 flu virus and then mapped its genome.

"What we're doing is analyzing a virus right out of the lungs of people who died in the prime of their lives, soldiers who were just in their 20's when they died," Taubenberger explains.

Why soldiers? In a way, thanks to President Lincoln, he became interested in what soldiers were dying of. So, from that day to this, tissue samples have been collected for study. There are now five million little wax blocks and 30 million slides.

When we first met Dr. Taubenberger in 1999, he explained that he had thought, maybe, somewhere in this amazing archive, he could find a sample that contained the 1918 flu virus.

He found not one, but two.

Enter Dr. Johann Hultin, a retired pathologist from San Francisco. In 1951, he had tried and failed to extract the virus from flu victims frozen into the ground in Alaska. The technology simply wasn't sophisticated enough then, but when Hultin read about Taubenberger's discovery, he tried again.

This time he found the bodies decomposed. All except one.

"That was a great moment. Like that," Hultin snaps his finger, "I knew it."

The virus in the lung tissue matched the two soldiers', proving it was the 1918 flu.

"The long-term goal would be to apply this information in a way that ultimately might be able to prevent a pandemic from ever happening again," Taubenberger says.

But what if it does? A copy of a Bush administration plan for dealing with a flu pandemic was just leaked to the New York Times. It outlines a worst case scenario: 1.9 million Americans dead and 8.5 million hospitalized.

It talks about a domestic vaccine production capacity of 600 million doses within 6 months, more than 10 times the present capacity.

"There is an h5n1, an avian flu, bird flu vaccine. They first made a two million dose batch and now they're doing a 20 million dose batch," says Doris Bucher.

A far cry from 600 million. Bucher heads a lab at the New York Medical College that creates flu vaccines.

"The thing about flu is that it's so mutable," Bucher says.

Which is why making a vaccine requires tailoring it precisely to whatever form the flu virus finally takes and that requires time, months we may or may not have.

"We started from zero five weeks ago to all this hot, hot spotlight on pandemic flu, but we're not going to be ready," Dr. Irwin Redlener says.

If we're lucky, it won't happen. At least, not this year, and we buy ourselves time to be ready. We can only hope.

Avian flu is scary. I understand we need to protect against terrorism, but this needs to be our top priority, and we aren't even close to being prepared. My mom is a nurse who has a co-worker whose brother works for FEMA. The information he's been getting is scary. This is a real threat...especially now that it has spread into Europe.

Yeah, the Avian Flu is estimated to kill thousands of people in Canada all over, so I'm freaking out. Put the war against terrorism on hold and deal with this! The flu will wipe out more people then any terrorist attack!

Yeah, the Avian Flu is estimated to kill thousands of people in Canada all over, so I'm freaking out. Put the war against terrorism on hold and deal with this! The flu will wipe out more people then any terrorist attack!

The estimates are that the Avian Flu could kill 5-150 million people.

The scary thing is that before we knew what it was over half of all of our healthcare workers would be dead because it spreads that quickly and is that deadly. Plus if that many people are affected we don't have the hospital beds, healthcare workers, ventilators, etc. to treat those numbers.

Right now they're saying that you need 3 days of food and supplies in case of an outbreak. But what the brother of my mom's coworker is saying is that you actually need 6 months of supplies. They aren't giving that number out in the media because they fear that people won't take such a long number seriously. But the worry and strong possibility is that everything would halt with an outbreak. We wouldn't have trucks moving across the country to bring us food...nothing would be moving.

We're very rational people and laughed when people stocked up on supplies for Y2K. But this is frightening...and we actually might start doing this. The reccomendation is that everytime you go to the store buy a case of bottled water, and every now and then buy rice and nonparishables. My mom is seriously considering doing something along those lines.

This isn't a case of if, but when. It is better to be safe than sorry, and if it did turn out to be nothing, those items won't go to waste.

I have no idea if that was sarcastic, serious or what...so for now I'll refrain from addressing it.
no, im serious. i really dont want to, because i think that would be cruel, but national security is often a cruel process that i dont agree with.

if i have to, i'm going to be so sad. my chickens are like family. that'd be like killing your dog.

ETA: omg, i think i might cry. i really hope that i dont have to. great, now im worried like no other.

no, im serious. i really dont want to, because i think that would be cruel, but national security is often a cruel process that i dont agree with.

if i have to, i'm going to be so sad. my chickens are like family. that'd be like killing your dog.

ETA: omg, i think i might cry. i really hope that i dont have to. great, now im worried like no other.

It just depends on how it spreads over here. But I know in Turkey and Romania (where it has most recently spread) have had to practically kill off entire towns of birds.

We'll have to see how it spreads and mutates though. It's just awful.

It's such a scary topic... and I don't think anyone is taking it seriously. Especially in "top" countries that have good medical facilities, enough food to feed the population, good healthcare and sanitary conditions, it doesn't really seem like it could be real. People tend to think that nothing like this could actually happen...

It's such a scary topic... and I don't think anyone is taking it seriously. Especially in "top" countries that have good medical facilities, enough food to feed the population, good healthcare and sanitary conditions, it doesn't really seem like it could be real. People tend to think that nothing like this could actually happen...

One of the things that disturbs me is the fact that the US government has come out and said that we are definitely not prepared. That is really rare, usually the government tries to gloss over things like that.

It's only a matter of time.

I'm scared about it too. Especially since I'm in a foreign exchange program and am having an Austrian student come here in the spring and i'm going to Austria in June. That makes me afraid. The only thing they have found to help is Tamaflu (sp) and the U.S. is like towards the bottom of the list. :thinking:

I'm scared about it too. Especially since I'm in a foreign exchange program and am having an Austrian student come here in the spring and i'm going to Austria in June. That makes me afraid. The only thing they have found to help is Tamaflu (sp) and the U.S. is like towards the bottom of the list. :thinking:

We have like enough Tamaflu for 1-2% of the population or something like that. And once the flu mutates and is spread from human to human, there is no guarentee that that will even work.

Parrot had deadly bird flu strain

LONDON, England -- Britain has confirmed that the bird flu virus that killed a parrot in quarantine was the same deadly strain that has devastated poultry stocks and killed more than 60 people in Asia.

It is the first confirmed case of bird flu in Britain since 1992, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said.

The parrot, from Suriname in South America, was almost certainly infected with the deadly H5N1 avian flu by a bird from Taiwan, Britain's chief veterinary officer, Dr. Debby Reynolds, said.

The two separate bird consignments were kept in the same quarantine compound in Essex, sharing the same "airspace."

Reynolds said it was likely that the parrot, from Suriname, in South America, had contracted the disease in the UK.

Asked if she considered placing the birds together to be a mistake, she told the UK's Press Association: "The process of putting consignments together is something that we obviously need to review."

Because the bird was in quarantine, the UK's disease-free status is still in place, Reynolds said.

Suriname, which sits on South America's northeast coast, has not reported the lethal H5N1 strain, according to the World Organization for Animal Health.

The bird was one of 148 parrots and "soft bills" that arrived in Britain on September 16 for display and for collectors. Another parrot also died, but Reynolds said she did not know the cause.

Dispelling concerns, Ron Cutler, a bird authority at the University of East London, said the finding shows the "British quarantine system is working effectively."

Also Monday, another region in European Russia, Tambov, located 400 km (250 miles) southeast of Moscow, has confirmed an outbreak of the same deadly bird flu strain, a senior regional animal health official said.

"Laboratory tests have confirmed the presence of the H5N1 strain ... in some dead fowl tissue samples," the official told Reuters.

He said the disease killed 12 hens at a private dacha in Morshansk district last week, after which local veterinary authorities destroyed 53 ducks and hens remaining in the locality, and imposed a quarantine on it.

Since emerging in South Korea in late 2003, H5N1 has spread as far west as European Russia, Turkey and Romania, tracking the paths of migratory birds.

Moscow confirmed last Wednesday an outbreak of H5N1 in the Tula region, some 200 km (125 miles) south of the Russian capital.

Russia has been fighting bird flu since mid-July and has killed more than 600,000 domestic fowl.

Meanwhile, the European Union says it is preparing to ban poultry imports from Croatia after the country detected bird flu in some dead swans. The wild swans tested positive for the H5 virus, but it was not yet known if it was the deadly H5N1 strain. (Full story)

The swans landed in Croatia earlier this week, but it is not known where they migrated from.

Separately, the EU was considering a British request to ban the import of all wild birds for sale as pets across the 25-nation bloc. Germany also has called for an EU-wide ban.

The latest person to have tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain was a 7-year-old boy in Thailand whose father recently died from the virus.

Hospital officials say the boy, who apparently helped his father slaughter and cook a chicken, is expected to recover.

Most of the human deaths have been linked to contact with sick birds. But experts fear the virus could mutate into a form that could be transmitted between humans, triggering a global pandemic.

As the scare over bird flu intensifies, Europe and Asia are ordering clampdowns on the movements of birds and people.

Hong Kong's border with China, one of Asia's busiest, might be sealed if the deadly H5N1 bird flu starts spreading from human to human, according to the South China Morning Post newspaper.

The H5N1 strain first surfaced in Hong Kong in 1997, then re-emerged in 2003 in South Korea, before spreading to Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, China, Indonesia, Cambodia, Russia and Europe.

Hong Kong has been a hotbed of virus alerts in recent years, including the outbreak of the SARS disease in 2003, which killed almost 300 people there. (Full story)

The H5N1 bird flu strain also infected 18 people in Hong Kong in 1997, six of whom died.

Consequently, Hong Kong's entire poultry population, estimated at around 1.5 million birds, was destroyed within three days. This is thought to have averted a pandemic.

In Europe, the EU has placed restrictions on bird markets and shows while urging nations to vaccinate zoo birds as part of increased measures to head off the spread of the disease.

Im not replying to your article, other people have said things.

That's what quotes are for then, they help clear up any confusion.

I think everyone's fears have been warranted. This has the potential to be very serious, and our government has openly admitted that we are not in the least bit prepared...which is very scary.

I guess that I'm more concerned than most because I'v heard what a FEMA official has to say about it, and how this is their top priority right now. My mom is a nurse, and they've had a couple information sessions about what would happen if there was an outbreak in this country...it's scary stuff.

I don't believe it's a matter of if, but when. FEMA believes that there have already been cases of human to human contact (like the girl in Korea [I believe], who had no direct contact with any infected birds, but got the illness after taking care of her sick brother). There was also a man who contracted it after eating a chicken, because cooking a bird does not kill the flu virus.

You know what, maybe some people are overreacting, but we're certainly allowed to. And I'd much rather overreact and have this turn out to be nothing than completely ignore it and then be faced with something such as this completely unprepared.

I think the 'War on Terroristm' should be canned full stop - but that's for another thread. Now bird flu...

I honestly think that everyone needs to chill a bit - the same sort of hysteria came about when it was thought that SARS was a threat, but that never went anywhere - and SARS actually can be transmitted between humans!

In Australia it was found that a Canadian pidgeon that was imported (for some reason, I'm not sure why) was carrying the virus - so of course the government rushed to ban any bird imports from Canada. It's since been revealed that many wild birds (world wide) carry the disease, but have better immune systems than domestic birds and therefore don't get affected badly (just like people - some get hit really badly by the flu, some don't). In other words, the government was over reacting somewhat (like it does regarding most things...).

I think another positive thing is that out of 122 reported cases so far, there have only been 62 deaths. That's only just over 50%, and most of these cases have been in third world countries that have poor health systems. Also, this figure is cumulative since Christmas 2003 - so really, that's very few human cases...

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't really think there's any reason for the hysteria. That's my two cents.

WHO: Human flu pandemic inevitable

GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- A deadly new global pandemic of human influenza is inevitable and suffering will be "incalculable" unless the world is ready, the chief of the U.N. health agency said Monday. The World Bank put the possible economic cost at a minimum of $800 billion.

"We have been experiencing a relentless spread of avian flu" among migratory birds and domestic poultry, Lee Jong-wook, director-general of the World Health Organization told a meeting of 600 health experts and planners, the first attempt to devise a global strategy in case the bird flu virus changes to transmit easily among humans.

Lee stressed that a human flu pandemic has yet to begin anywhere in the world.

"However, the signs are clear that is coming," he said, noting that a changed avian flu virus caused the deadly "Spanish" flu pandemic that killed tens of millions of people in 1918-1919.

Already the virulent H5N1 strain of avian flu, which appeared in Hong Kong in 1997, is killing birds in 15 countries of Europe and Asia, he said.

"It is only a matter of time before an avian flu virus -- most likely H5N1 -- acquires the ability to be transmitted from human to human, sparking the outbreak of human pandemic influenza," Lee said.

A senior World Bank economist told the meeting that a global human flu pandemic could cause world gross domestic product to drop by 2 percent or more. That would amount to about $800 billion (675 billion euros) over the course of a year, said Milan Brahmbhatt, the World Bank's lead economist for the East Asia and Pacific region, basing estimates on a comparison with the economic costs of the SARS virus.

A lot of the cost could be caused by "panic and disruption," said Brahmbhatt, referring to what happened during the SARS outbreak in 2003, when most of the economic impact was caused by people trying to avoid infection.

During the second quarter of 2003, the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome caused East Asia's GDP to drop by 2 percent, Brahmbhatt said during the opening session of the three-day meeting of scientists, health experts and government and business representatives.

Most of the losses were caused by people avoiding travel, staying home from work and going out less to eat and shop, said Brahmbhatt.

About 60 percent of countries have a pandemic preparedness plan, but in most cases it is only a piece of paper, and those plans "need to move to exercise and rehearsal," said Mike Ryan, WHO's outbreak response director.

Although bird flu has recurred over the years, scientists have been watching H5N1 since its impact on humans started to be noticed. In early 2004 officials announced that three people -- an adult and two children -- had died from the disease in Vietnam.

Since then more than 120 people, most of whom were in close contact with poultry, have come down with the disease in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia, WHO says. More than half of the people infected have died.

Since then more than 150 million chickens and other poultry have died or been culled, but that has not halted the spread of the disease to birds in central Asia, Russia and eastern Europe.

Around the world governments have made plans for the human influenza that would result if the virus mutates so that people could easily infect each other. Developing a vaccine is hampered because it is unknown exactly what form the deadly virus would take.

The result has left many governments stocking up on antiviral drugs that work against regular flu and are believed to be the best immediate weapon to confront a pandemic until a vaccine can be produced.

Preparations are also being made to protect domestic poultry flocks by requiring that they be kept under cover or vaccinated.

"For the first time in human history, we have a chance to prepare ourselves for a pandemic before it arrives," Dr. Margaret Chan, WHO's top official in charge of monitoring avian influenza. "It is incumbent upon the global community to act now."

The world has seen four flu pandemics since 1890, the last one in the late 1960s. An ordinary flu epidemic kills thousands of people, but pandemics can be much worse. The pandemic of 1918-19 killed up to 40 million or 50 million people, WHO officials have said.

Dr. David Nabarro, a senior WHO expert appointed by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan in September to coordinate the global response, said "each country needs to increase its capacity to do what is expected of them."

Nabarro has said a new flu pandemic could kill between 5 million and 150 million people, but WHO's flu spokesman Dick Thompson said the agency considers a maximum death toll of 7.4 million a more reasoned forecast.

Scientists have made all sorts of predictions, ranging from less than 2 million to 360 million.

Besides scientific concerns, one major element to be discussed will be how to pay for the preparations on a country, regional and global level.

The cost could be enormous. Last week U.S. President George W. Bush proposed that the United States spend $7.1 billion to prepare for a flu pandemic.

Back