Beyond The Horizon

Part 5

It was several hours later, almost dawn, when Jack awakened. After making love, they each fell into a deep sleep. It would be the last time, he thought, for a while. Now as he opened his eyes, he felt her next to him left arm flung over his chest. He felt an ache in his heart. It had been a long time since he’d had the warmth of her body next to him. Their lovemaking had been passionate and complete.

Jack leaned down and whispered, “Irina, sweetheart, wake up. We need to hold a conference with Sydney. She’s probably nursing Isabelle by now.”

“Yes, of course.” She slid out of bed and went around to where he’d left her clothes. “I’m showering first. Don’t come with me,” she continued, a twinkle in her eye, “or else we might be delayed.”

Fifteen minutes later, they both had showered and were now dressed. Jack made sure his clothes didn’t look as though he’d slept in them. He followed Irina out of the room and down the hall. Sydney was several doors beyond the nurse’s station. Irina paused there, murmuring something to the young nurse. She nodded and picked up the phone at her desk.

“What did you say to her?”

“Just asked her to round up some coffee and breakfast, if there was any left. They have a very good kitchen here.” She walked swiftly a few more steps, before stopping at Sydney’s door. She peeked inside; then opened the door wide.

“Hi, Mom! Dad!” Sydney looked well and she was nursing Isabelle. The hospital provided a baby’s bed on wheels. Sydney and the baby spent the night together. “You both look like you got some sleep.” She checked under the light sheet covering her. “Mom, you want to hold her?”

Irina hurried to that side of the bed and took Isabelle gently in her arms. Her face wore the widest smile. She grinned at Jack. “How about Grandpa? Shouldn’t he have a chance to hold her?”

“Dammit, Irina, give her to me.” He joined her on that side of the bed. Isabelle was sound asleep having enjoyed her ‘breakfast’.

“Hey, be careful!” Sydney chuckled as she watched her father gently take the baby from her mother. She rearranged her gown pulling it together.

“Humph,” said Jack. “Young lady, I had no problems holding onto you when you were this size.”

Irina almost giggled as she remembered how gingerly Jack had held Sydney for the first time. He was afraid he’d crush her in his hands.

“Okay,” Sydney started, but then stopped as the nurse came in with some food: a glass of milk, pastries, and a pot of coffee.

Jack put Isabelle in the hospital crib as Irina took the rolling table from the nurse. She poured coffee for Jack and herself and handed the milk to Sydney. It took them a few minutes to finish.

“Okay,” said Sydney once again. “I’d really like an explanation of why you had me tortured?” She stared at her mother coldly.

“Sydney, I’m sorry you thought it was torture, because it wasn’t meant to be.” Irina stood facing her daughter, staring straight into Sydney’s eyes. “I needed a stimulated hypnosis to find out information you had, but didn’t know you had. However,” she glanced at Jack who was standing at the foot of the bed holding Isabelle, “your PC training obviously was enhanced enough so you lied while under a hypnotic state. That, darling Sydney, was remarkable considering the circumstances.”

“You brought Vaughn back,” Sydney whispered. “We talked and I didn’t want to leave him. He made me come back.”

Irina sat on the bed and took Sydney’s hands in hers. “Sweetheart, the information was in your memory…something you saw but didn’t know you saw it. We had to stimulate that memory to get what I wanted.”

“Which was…?”

Irina went on to explain why she wanted it and where it was located. She told Sydney everything she told Jack. This time, she did not hold back. It was too important her daughter know everything.

“…I wanted to beat Prophet 5 to the information.” She ended the telling with that statement. “I want to destroy that formula.”

“If you do that, won’t they still want us?”

Jack nodded. “You know they will, Irina. They’ll come after all of us. I don’t want that to happen. We have to find a way to make sure they never will.” He frowned. “We have to do it without anyone else knowing.”

“Just how are we going to do that?” Irina said. At that moment, she was running various scenarios in her head and had not come up with an idea yet, especially one that didn’t require some outside help.

“I have an idea,” said Sydney. Her parents waited expectantly... “We’re going to need Renee and Kelly. She glanced at Irina. “Can we reach Renee…and Grigor?” Irina nodded, her eyes widening.

The evening shift changed at seven that night. The nurse checked the files on patients who were on the floor. One had checked out…the young woman whose mother had helped deliver the baby. She put the file in the out box and began making rounds. It was not unusual for mothers, who had given birth a day or so earlier, to leave. They were always happier having the baby with them at home.

Meanwhile in Sofia, the capitol of Bulgaria, at a building used for Prophet 5’s Russian server headquarters, a communiqué from Moscow arrived for Nicholai Dubachev, the station chief. Information that Sydney Bristow, who was carrying the child they were looking for, had disappeared. They could not track her whereabouts after the helicopter took her from a freighter three hundred miles away in the Mediterranean. Furthermore, no one knew who assisted her, but they suspected that her mother, Irina Derevko, and father, Jack Bristow, were responsible. No satellite pictures were available to trace the helicopter although reports received from boats chasing the freighter that the ‘copter turned northeast toward Bulgaria.

The orders given were to make every effort to locate and capture Sydney Bristow and her baby as well as locate and capture Irina Derevko and Jack Bristow. If they resisted, shoot. The orders definitely underlined the no-kill of Sydney and her child. Prophet 5 wanted her and her baby alive.

Back in Burgos, the Bristows checked into one of the larger hotels. Renee had put in an appearance with Kelly. Irina handed her a key to another room. They had arrived from Tzarevo only a few minutes earlier. It was a fast trip by a car stolen the night before. Earlier, Irina and Jack had gone to look over the server facility only to find the building empty. Shocked, they made their way inside where they found an empty matchbook cover from a café in Sofia.

Irina cursed and Jack agreed. For some reason, the server had been moved and they were sure it was now somewhere in Sofia, Bulgaria’s capitol. Back at the hotel, the group met to discuss their next move. It was Renee, who said she would get them a car big enough to carry the five of them.

Twenty-four hours later, the plane from Moscow landed at Sofia’s International Airport in Bulgaria. Several passengers disembarked most of whom were Bulgarians. Last to leave the plane were four Russians, a father and three sons, who were, they said, at customs here to visit friends. Outside the terminal, a taxi whose driver held a sign, which they recognized, picked up the four. He drove them to a local hotel in the center of town.
He was paid and the foursome watched him disappear around the traffic circle.

Grigor and his sons registered. They split up; Petr stayed with his father and the other two young men took the room next to theirs. They unpacked and waited. An hour later, Grigor’s cell phone rang.

“Da?”

“Welcome to Bulgaria, old friend.”

“Are you alright?”

“Yes. Sydney has had her baby…a girl!”

Grigor beamed. “Good. She is well?”

“Fine. Did you bring the necessary equipment?”

“Da. I am having Petr and Stephan put everything together. It will be ready in…” he glanced at Petr, who showed him five fingers, “…five hours.”

“Jack and I will be there in five minutes. What room number?”

“Four thirty three.” Grigor snapped his cell shut. “Irina will be here in four hours. How about Georges and I get food and bring here.”

“Yes, Papa! Good idea.” Petr turned back to the small table on which there were many parts of something. “We will have it ready in plenty of time.”

There was a knock on the door. Grigor walked over, looked through the peephole, and saw Irina standing in front. He opened the door, swooping her up into his massive arms. Jack and Sydney followed.

“Irina! You are okay?” Grigor put her down.

“Yes, yes, you big oaf!” She kissed him on both cheeks. “Did you bring the equipment?”

“Yes, of course.” He grinned at Jack. “Mr. Jack!” Then he saw Sydney with the baby in her arms. “Sydney, you are mama now!” He leaned down from his six foot seven height and kissed her on both cheeks. “Can I?” he put his massive hands out, asking to hold her.

“Of course,” she smiled, placing Isabel onto his hands. She knew Grigor had practice as he was the father of five.

Grigor held the baby. “She is very small.”

“And you are very big!” Sydney laughed. “She’s normal in every department.”

Grigor smiled. “She is very beautiful.” He kissed Isabelle gently on the forehead and then handed her back to Sydney. Turning to Jack, he pounded him on the back, almost knocking the other man down. “Now you are grandfather, like me!”

“Yes,” Jack answered with a smile. It was a long time since he’d seen the gentle giant and each time he was amazed by Grigor’s devotion to Irina and the family. “How is your wife?”

“Good. I think she is glad I go away for trip. Is vacation for her too!” He turned to Irina. “So little one, what is it you need for us to do.” He gestured toward Petr, Georges, and Stephan who had stayed in the background, letting their father do most of the talking.

“We need to hack into computer server here in Sofia.”

Grigor stared, “…and,” He knew that wasn’t all.

Irina put her hand on his arm. “We have to disappear. In order to do that, we need to hack into the server so Sydney can make some changes. Once the servers are programmed, we will be safe.”

“Safe, where?”

“That is not information we can share.” She thumped him on the chest. “Do you think I want to bring trouble to your home?” She shook her head. “If no one knows where we are then no one follows.”

He nodded. “How long?”

“Until some issues are resolved. There is a possibility we will never return.”

“But, Irina…” He looked devastated.

“Grigor, my dear friend, you have a home and children. You run my apartment house. You will collect the rents and keep them for repairs. Maria knows how to keep books so that will be her job.”

“But that is no fun,” he answered. “With you and Mr. Jack and Sydney, I am having fun.”

“Not this time.” Irina’s demeanor and voice was serious. “You can have fun helping us. Now let’s go over our plan, the options in case of trouble, and what we need from you and the boys.”

TBC
:cool:

Part 6
Necessity

Nicholai Dubachev sat at his desk reading another communiqué from his boss in Moscow. Sydney Bristow was still missing and they were getting pressure from their partners of Prophet 5. It meant his head if he did not locate them. Nicholas reached in his bottom drawer and pulled out a bottle of cheap Vodka. He took a long drag, coughed, and put it back. Idiots! He didn’t know how they expected him to find these ex-spies.

God in heaven, Irina Derevko was a legend in Russia. Since she left KGB to start her own organization, she eluded capture from everyone. Of course, rumor had it she walked into the CIA to help destroy The Alliance. He chuckled, thinking about it. As soon as the organization was destroyed, her own crime business benefited as she absorbed most of the Alliance’s peripheral men and women as well as their assets. The Man, as she had come to be known as, made her presence the talk of the underworld.

Even though she’d disappeared for several months, her men were extremely loyal and kept the business going. Then word leaked that her husband, Jack Bristow, killed her at the British Embassy in Vienna. The body was shipped to Moscow and subsequently, identified by her daughter, Sydney Bristow. She had her mother cremated and interred in a mausoleum near the place she was born.

Sovogda happened and days later, Irina Derevko was back in Moscow very much alive. Ruthlessly, she took back her organization from those who thought she died. There was no question about her. Derevko was back in business. Prophet 5 contacted her about the possibility of her helping them obtain information from her daughter. They told Irina she could be in charge of the interrogation and could therefore minimize the questioning. She demanded fifty million Euros for her services.

She had double-crossed them. Derevko took the money and it disappeared. Now she too vanished with her husband and daughter…and most importantly, the granddaughter who was the key to Prophet 5’s mission.

After sorting through his thoughts, Nicholai decided another drink was in order. He dispatched ten of his men and told them to find the Bristows using both contacts and some Euros to unlock some lips. So far, no one returned or phoned with any information.

As if to punctuate his thoughts, his phone rang. “Da?”

“This is Varoffskiy. We might have information. There is a small private hospital in Tzarevo on the coast. According to a nurse, a young woman was brought in by helicopter four days ago and she had a newborn baby with her. Information on the chart was scanty, but the nurse saw the woman and identified her as Sydney Bristow.”

“Good work. Derevko and Bristow?”
“She said an older couple was with the girl and I assume it was them. We did not have a picture to show the nurse.”

Nicholai sighed. “It was probably them. She had the baby, eh?”

“Yeah, a newborn and the records indicated she was normal.”

“Where did they go?

“Sorry, boss, they didn’t know at the hospital. Karg is trying to find them now. I’ll call back as soon as we know something.”

Nicholai broke the connection and made a quick call. He told the listener what his men had found out. He was told to call back only when he found their quarry. Nicholai cursed because he just knew that was not going to happen. The server’s supervisor entered the office.

“Da?”

“Maintenance has been completed on the number 1 board and we are proceeding with the second server. Repairs completed by tomorrow. All updates will be installed and working after that.”

“I thought it would be done by now.” Nicholai snorted.

“You took four of my men. We’re getting it done with just two of us. That’s why it’s taking so long.”

Nicholai sighed. He knew that was the truth. Damn the Prophet 5 idiots. They didn’t seem to understand he was short-handed because of the hunt. “Very well, just get it done as soon as you can.” The phone rang again. “Da?” He waved his hand at the supervisor to dismiss him.

“Varoffskiy here. I’ve got some bad news.”

“What?”

“Our quarry has gone elsewhere. A car was stolen two nights ago. It hasn’t been found. The police here are nincompoops. They couldn’t find their own felgercarb!”

“Where do you think they went?”

“Burgos.”

“Then stop wasting time. Call Janoss and join him. He’s in Burgos.”

“Okay. Call you when we get something more.”

The meeting was in Grigor’s room. Irina, Jack, and Sydney sat on the edge of the bed. Grigor pulled over the small table and two chairs for Stephan and Georges. He and Petr stood. Sydney concentrated on the work she was inputting into the laptop in front of her.

There was a knock on the door and Renee entered. “You have my assignment?”

“Sydney is still working. It will be a few minutes.”

“What about Peyton?”

“We’ll decide later.” Irina was enigmatic in her response.

The room fell silent as Sydney, engrossed, continued to let her fingers fly over the keys. Finally, a couple of minutes later, she looked up, smiling. “Okay, we’re ready to go. It looks like Dubachev has left the site with only three people, himself included. He was given instructions by P-5 to find us. The supervisor informed him they finished the maintenance of server one and they were beginning work on the second one. Unfortunately, for them, it will take another day or so.

“This means we have to go tonight.” Her dark eyes regarded her parents. “Do you think you can get in without being hurt?”

“Sydney, your mother and I have been in this business long enough to know that nothing is certain. We have to be inside in order to open the server. How we do it is dangerous, sweetheart, but it’s the only way.”

Irina smiled at him. He couldn’t have put it any better. She laid out some papers on the table. Part of them was blue prints of the building Sydney downloaded yesterday on a CD. She took it to a Kinko’s store in the downtown area next to the University and printed them out. She thanked the Gods that every country in Europe now had a Kinko’s. Great thing Capitalism.

Grigor and the boys gathered around as they would be playing a major roll in their effort. Jack was next to Irina. Sydney and Renee watched over their shoulders. Irina quickly laid out the plan and how it was to be accomplished. Their goal was the server room and a computer. As soon as they found both and contacted Sydney back in the hotel, she would begin planting the worm. If all went well, they would be able to disappear.

It was one in the morning. The city was dark. Lighting was dim. Bulgaria was still unable to provide halogen lighting for its streets. Those who had to be out in the night did so with caution. It was a good time for criminals and those who preyed on society to be out. The area around the business district was very dark. The city provided light at each end of the block. Those who worked at night never left their jobs. They always brought their dinner/lunch with them.

An old truck entered the area coughing and sputtering as though almost out of gas. Petr drove the truck; Grigor was beside him. In the open back, Jack and Irina laid on the old wooden flooring. Stephan and Georges sat beside them, their eyes scanning the streets and old broken cement sidewalks for night people. The truck slowed down and finally came to a stop in front of a decrepit wooden building with a brick front. It was obvious that whoever owned it was not taking care of it. Paint was not present although the dirt and smudge from coal burning furnaces had washed the building with drab ugly gray-blackness.

Grigor left the passenger seat and walked back to the end of the truck. “Ready?” He whispered. His two sons nodded. Grigor reached in and pulled Irina forward. “You are sure, my friend?”

“Da.”

Grigor took out some rope from his pocket and immediately tied her hands in front of her and then her feet together. He hefted her up over his shoulder. Stephan and Georges did the same to Jack. They carried him off the truck together. Grigor looked around to make sure no one was on the street. He glanced at the buildings. There was no light on in any of them on either side of the street. He walked to the door of the building they were going to ‘attack’ and knocked hard.

No answer.

He knocked again, the sound reverberating in the night, echoing off the silent buildings.
His ears caught the sound of feet coming from inside.

“Who the hell is knocking at this time of night?” The voice was cranky and snarling.

“I have a present for Dubachev from Janoss!”

“What? He’s not here.”

“Let us in, we cannot stand out here. We could be seen.”

“No, not until he says I can.”

“Stupid idiot,” roared Grigor. “I have two people he looking for…Janoss said he would pay me for them.”

The lock on the door opened and a smallish bald-headed man stood looking at him stupidly. “Who?”

“Irina Derevko and Jack Bristow. Let us in before we are seen.”

The man gaped at him. “Yes, yes, come in, come in.”

Grigor and his sons entered. “You have cell phone?”

“Of course.”

“Take us where we can leave them. Call your boss.”

The small man scurried along a very short hallway. He opened the door at the end. Grigor grunted as he put Irina down so her face was to the wall. The boys did the same with Jack. Both were silent as though unconscious. He returned to his full height causing the other man to take a step back.

“Give me phone, I call Dubachev.”

“Here! You know his number? I do have work to do.” He handed him the cell and Grigor clapped him on the back. Suddenly the little man gasped and slumped to the floor dead. When found, it would seem he suffered a heart attack.

Grigor lifted Irina, untied her, and left hurrying out to the truck. His two sons quickly untied Jack. Then they left holding one thumb up to wish the older couple well. Grigor was back in less than three minutes, carrying a box. In it was a canister of a special gas and three gas masks.

The three put on the masks. They walked to the door. Slowly opening it, Irina bent down and released the small canister, now open, just inside the door. Shutting the door, Irina nodded and looked at her watch. It would only take a few minutes before the two men inside, fell asleep. No one would ever know the server was invaded by a virus until it was too late.

TBC
:D

Great update! I love your attention to detail, and you are very talented at writing the mission aspect of the story, which is not something everyone is good at. Keep up the great work!

great chapter!. Love the way you write this story .Irina seems to be both good guy and villain at same time,if that is even possible.or at least pretending to be villain, I dunno.

Part 7
Vanished

Thirty minutes after her parents and Grigor left, Sydney’s laptop beeped. She moved over to the monitor and saw the agreed upon word. Renee moved to where she could watch as Sydney began inputting the worm. She pulled the worm out of her purse where it had rested for months in the form of a mini-disk. She did not tell her parents she lifted it from several that Marshall showed her. He was always fiddling with various viruses and had used on occasion one to destroy some bad guy’s computer that was interfering with APO in some ugly way.

Of course, Sloane, when he was the head of the division used them often without a qualm. When Jack became the headman, he gave Marshall the go ahead to do anything necessary to keep the secret division ahead of any other programmer. Marshall gave Sydney a lesson in viruses and even showed her one he’d put aside as ‘too dangerous’ to use.

“It has the potential to destroy everything connected to anyone’s server or servers if they are linked.”

“What does it do?”

“Get’s in and starts working to erase everything: files all data, text, and graphics. There is no way to stop this little baby.” He grinned at her. “It probably would cause a meltdown.”

Sydney’s mind began calculating its potential. “Okay, just so I understand it, if you inserted it into the CIA computer system…”

“Wow, it would destroy everything.” He shook his head. “You are the only person I’ve shown this to.”

“What about back-up?”

He laughed, “As soon as a disk was inserted, the virus would attack and destroy it also.”

“Good thing you have it hidden.”

“Yeah…I would never use it.”

Sydney decided she had to have it…on hand. She worked late one night on some reports. Everyone was gone, even Marshall. Security guards made rounds every thirty minutes. Taking out a mini-disk, she entered the lab, and using Marshall’s password, she opened the computer’s directory. In less than ten minutes, she had the mini-disk back in her purse.

She kept the disk with her always.

Now it was going to be used to pull down Prophet 5’s own arsenal of servers and computers in each government. Since they were all linked in a huge network, it would take a few minutes to enter their system, but once in…they were out of business. Absolute chaos would erupt worldwide especially the five governments responsible. Sydney tapped the keys and then sat back waiting.

The cursor blinked a few times as the computer spewed the virus into the server that Irina and Jack had infiltrated. There were buzzes and beeps that followed. The computer’s screen went black, the cursor disappearing.

“Done,” said Sydney.

“Now what?” Renee asked.

“We wait for Mom and Dad. Where’s Kelly?”

“Asleep.”

“Drugged?”

Renee winked and then shrugged. “But of course, I don’t trust her, no matter what your mother says.”

“I think Mom would approve.”

Dubachev returned to the server building early the next morning, discovering his supervisor in the hallway dead. Inside the server room, he found the other man busy at the second server. He had equipment all over the floor.

“What the fuk, you idiot. Why didn’t you call me about Aranoff?”

The other man stood and faced him. “What is more important, telling about him or getting the server back up?” His voice implied Dubachev forgot why they were here.

Nicholai smarted under the words, but the man was right. Aranoff was dead so he could be of no help. “You’re right. Keep working. I’ll take care of him.”

“Don’t let anyone in here.”

“Da.” Dubachev turned and left the room, locking the door after him. Going into his office he called for an ambulance explaining he found one of his employees dead, probably from a heart attack, when he came to the office. He contemplated whether he should call his bosses, but then they told him they only wanted to hear that the Bristows and Derevko had been caught.

It was late afternoon in Millhouse, Virginia. The town was slowly winding down. People were on their way home to make supper, watch television, or closing up small businesses located along Broad Street, the main street through the small town, population 4047. Among the storefronts was a building, which on the outside looked innocuous and very unpretentious. The one large window was devoid of any product or advertised service poster. There was no sign over the window, telling people what was inside. On the door was a small dirty 3x3 card announcing it was a warehouse, storage for a company called Ferris Inc.

The rental agent was aware of the company and to the curious had simply told them they used it for storage of supplies. There were two employees, who usually came to work at dawn and stayed until very late. What most of the townspeople thought they knew was wrong, as there was a rotation of employees, all of whom entered and left by the rear door.

In actuality, it was Prophet 5 server station for the United States. The men running the operation were given orders by the Secretary of Defense and the head of the DSR. Above them, but not known by anyone, was the President.

Nine hours earlier, Bob Jathen and Mark Turkson came to work and found the computer system down. They worked all day after notifying their bosses what happened. It was not until almost evening, that they discovered the worm. They notified Washington immediately. Then other members of Prophet 5 were notified. There was a worm in the system and it had destroyed every file. They were dead in the water—they could not operate.

The President asked his co-conspirators who was responsible. No one knew. They were all getting their best computer programmers to work to kill it. However, they could not delete or find any way to excise it from the files. All orders for satellite reconnaissance whether from a distance or zooming close was killed. No one could feed any information or make any changes. It would be days before they were up and running.

In Sofia, during a routine police check of some abandoned apartment houses, the body of a young woman was found. Surrounding her was paraphernalia for drug use: a table, a candle, and teaspoon and an empty plastic packet. Heroin overdose said the coroner. She had no name and because they assumed she was a junkie no one delved further into her background. They buried her in plot in what some would call Potter’s Field. Of course, if her fingerprints had been sent to Interpol and on to the FBI in the U.S. she would have a name—Kelly Peyton—and certain authorities might have had her body shipped there.

Renee Rienne stood on the platform of the railroad station. She was now a blond and her clothing was that of a businesswoman. She wore sensible heels, an overcoat and carried a computer bag over one shoulder, her purse under her arm. She was going back to France and bury herself in some bureaucratic bureau. She was not particularly happy about her new life, but as the Bristows said, “You have to disappear too. Prophet 5 knows you and Michael worked together. Can you do this?”

Renee sighed, “Oui. I will do my best.”

Sydney gave her a hug. “Merci, Renee. We are counting on you.”

“Where are you going?”

“Now if we told you, you might be in grave danger,” Jack answered. His face was stern. “Each of us has a part to play if we are to survive. Knowledge of each other’s whereabouts is not a part of it. If any of us fall into their hands, you may be sure they will use any method to find out. Any…” He reiterated. “…any and most would guarantee you would talk.”

So there she was waiting for the train to go north and west to her beloved France. She sighed, thinking about what had happened to her and her father and her life. Now she would travel to find a small town or city, settle down, and become…what? She shrugged thinking it will be what will be.

At the airport, Jack and Irina watched Sydney, carrying their granddaughter; go up the steps into a small commuter plane that would take her to Vienna. Their farewells had been so emotional that Sydney was unable to stop the tears. Irina held her tightly, tears falling down her cheeks. She had had so little time to be with Sydney in their lifetime. Now the chances were they might never see each other again. Jack had made it clear to both women they could not risk contact.

“Sydushka,” Irina said softly, “I love you with all my heart. Remember that when you teach Isabelle about her grandparents. We neither have been the best parents, but we both know you are going to be a great mother.”

Jack gave Sydney a hug as Irina held Isabelle for the last time. “Sweetheart, your mother is right. We have not been great parents. However, I know, like she knows, you will be the best Mom in the world. You raise that little girl right. I love you more than you will ever know.” He kissed and hugged her again.

“Flight 444 to Vienna is now boarding.” The announcement came over the loud speakers.

“Go now,” Jack whispered. He reached for Sydney’s hand and brought it to his cheek. As he lifted it down, he held it tightly for a moment. “Goodbye.”

Irina handed Isabelle back. Sydney turned her eyes filled with tears and walked out to the tarmac. Jack put his arm around Irina’s waist, pulling her close. “She’s going to be all right wherever she lives, sweetheart.” He pulled his handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to her. “Here, blow your nose. We’ve got a date with a freighter.”

Two hours later, Jack and Irina boarded a freighter headed for Madagascar. They were two of five passengers the old ship carried. It was a cheap way to travel and a safe way to get to their destination…Africa.

Sydney sat in the aisle seat. She held Isabelle in her arms. The flight attendant came up and asked her if she could put her in a safety carrier on the seat next to her. Sydney nodded and moments later, Isabelle was buckled in and a safety harness holding her tight to the carrier.

“There now, that will be safer. We don’t expect anything to happen but…”

Sydney smiled. “Thanks.”

The plane was in the air moments later on its way to Vienna on the first leg of her journey. She patted her inside breast pocket, feeling the passport and necessary papers for Isabelle. A tear crept out of her left eye and she sniffled. She probably would never see her parents again. She poked around her jacket pockets to find a Kleenex. Her hand felt a slip of paper she did not remember putting there.

Pulling it out, she saw it was in her father’s handwriting.

“761 Bergenstrasse, Lucerne. Vaughn is waiting.”

FINI
:angelic:

OMG! that was a terrific ending, but i think you should continue. maybe until she finally meets up with vaughn? that would be totally awesome.

Great ending! I absolutely loved it, and you did such a great job wrapping it up. Thanks for the PM, and please send me one when you write something else!

Back