Politics Overhaul of Endangered Species Act Approved

Jamison

Cadet
House approves major overhaul of Endangered Species Act

By Erica Werner
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The House yesterday approved a top-to-bottom overhaul of the landmark 1973 Endangered Species Act, perhaps the nation's most powerful environmental law.

By a vote of 229-193, lawmakers passed legislation that could greatly expand private-property rights under the environmental law that is credited with helping keep the bald eagle from extinction, but that has led to battles over species such as the spotted owl, the snail darter and the red-legged frog.

The White House supports the legislation, although it wants some changes. The Senate has not taken up companion legislation and is unlikely to accept such drastic revisions in the law, so compromises are likely if the bill is ever to become law.

In addition, Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I., head of the panel that oversees the law, has expressed concerns about the House bill.

An alternative proposal, which would have offered incentives to landowners to help protect species on their property, failed to pass by 10 votes. Both the bill that passed and the alternative eliminated the "critical habitat" provisions of the Endangered Species Act that now limit development in certain areas.

The bill that passed would require the government to compensate property owners if steps needed to protect species thwarted development plans. It also would make political appointees responsible for some scientific determinations and would stop the government from designating areas as "critical habitat."

The changes were pushed through by the chairman of the House Resources Committee, Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Calif. The rancher contends the current rules unduly burden landowners and lead to costly lawsuits while doing too little to save plants and animals.

The Fish and Wildlife Service says there are 1,268 threatened and endangered plants and animals in the United States. About a dozen have gone off the list after they were determined to have recovered; nine have become extinct.

"You've got to pay when you take away somebody's private property. That is what we have to do," Pombo told House colleagues. "The only way this is going to work is if we bring in property owners to be part of the solution and to be part of recovering those species."

Many Democrats and moderate Republicans said Pombo's bill would eliminate important protections for species and clear the way for large government handouts to property owners.

In a daylong debate that included references to the glories of ecotourism and the medicinal benefits of saving the Pacific yew tree, critics decried the compensation provision as an uncapped raid on the federal Treasury, while proponents accused environmentalists of putting bugs over people.

"We should protect endangered species, but not at the expense of our property owners," said Rep. Henry Brown Jr., R-S.C.

Countered Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash.: "What is a fish without a river? What is an Endangered Species Act without protection?"

In the end, 34 Republicans joined Democrats in voting against the measure, and 36 Democrats joined Republicans in voting for it.

In the Washington state delegation, Republican Dave Reichert joined Democrats in voting against the legislation. Republicans Doc Hastings and Cathy McMorris voted for it.

Dicks amendment

Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Wash., was one of the key opponents of Pombo's measure. As ranking Democrat on the House Interior appropriations subcommittee, he worked the House cloakroom and the phones, pushing a substitute bipartisan amendment he had co-sponsored that would have removed the most controversial parts of Pombo's bill. But the amendment was defeated, 216-206.

Dicks and the amendment's authors, George Miller, D-Calif., and Sherwood Boehlert, R-N.Y., had rounded up 28 Republican votes. But they lost Democrats along the way, mostly from rural agricultural areas where the Endangered Species Act is controversial.

One of those Democrats, Joe Baca, D-Calif., began swatting at a fly buzzing near his head while he spoke on the House floor. Baca then told House members that under the existing law, he might not be allowed to kill that fly. He voted against the amendment.

"That was exasperating, to see this matter trivialized like that," Dicks said afterward.

In his speech to the House, Dicks called Pombo's bill "a step backward" that would lower scientific standards for the entire "endangered" designation process.

His hopes reside in a compromise in the Senate, which he thinks will be more sensitive to the environmental issues. "You have a chairman in Chafee who I think will hold this up for a while."

Dicks added, "It's going to be a 2006 elections issue."

Democrats in the state delegation supported the substitute amendment. Rep. Jim McDermott said the Endangered Species Act is now on the endangered-species list.

Reichert voted against the amendment and against the bill. "He heard a lot about this from his district," said his press secretary. "Even the amendment didn't have enough protection in it for him."

Worries about cost

In a statement, the White House supported the bill but noted that payments to private-property owners could have a "significant" impact on the budget.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated those payments would run less than $20 million a year. The bill's opponents predicted a much higher total.

Environmentalists decried the bill's passage, while property-rights advocates cheered.

"A critical mass is developing of people who are now aware of the problems that the existing Endangered Species Act imposes on landowners and communities and understands that it's counterproductive to recovering species," said Chuck Cushman, executive director of the American Land Rights Association.

Susan Holmes, senior legislative representative at Earthjustice, said the bill amounted to "the death warrant for treasured American wildlife."

"If the Senate fails to do the right thing and reject this bill, America stands to lose hundreds of species of rare plants and animals," she said.

yeah, i read about that a couple days ago. what can you do? *shrugs*

With that attitude, then what can you do about anything?

I think it's kind of sad that it's gotten buried underneath other things. It might not end up having a huge impact...but then again it just might.

With that attitude, then what can you do about anything?

I think it's kind of sad that it's gotten buried underneath other things. It might not end up having a huge impact...but then again it just might.
fine, what do you plan on doing? my representative is doing all he can but he only has 0.25% of the vote.

fine, what do you plan on doing? my representative is doing all he can but he only has 0.25% of the vote.

I didn't quite mean it like that. But you said "what can you do?"

I was just saying that if there is nothing that people can do for this legislation, then what can we do for any? Even if it doesn't work there are always things that can be done to get your point across.

I just think it's silly that if you disagree with it you'd just sit there and let it be passed without even attempting to do anything...just my two cents though.

I didn't quite mean it like that. But you said "what can you do?"

I was just saying that if there is nothing that people can do for this legislation, then what can we do for any? Even if it doesn't work there are always things that can be done to get your point across.

I just think it's silly that if you disagree with it you'd just sit there and let it be passed without even attempting to do anything...just my two cents though.
i dont think that writing to your representative is considered not doing anything. not everyone is Cindy Sheehan and march on Washington every time they disagree with legislation.

i dont think that writing to your representative is considered not doing anything. not everyone is Cindy Sheehan and march on Washington every time they disagree with legislation.

Goodness! There is no reason to get snarky.

You didn't say in your previous posts that you wrote to your representative. You just said "what can you do"...not saying that you actually were taking action. I think doing anything is comendable...even if it is small.

I read how cavalier legislotrs are about endangered species and how little the average person cares about it and it makes me so sad. Sad to think that when my children grown up, there may only be pictures to show for some of the most incredible animals inthe world Plently of crime, corruption and mansions--but no animals. Very depressing. :(

This irks me so much. As well as the fact that no one even seems to care about the fact it was passed. I don't think I even heard it mentioned in the news, but of course everyone hears about Loony Tom Cruise and Katie "unlike a virgin" Holmes' pregnancy. It sickens me to know that is what people care about and not the fact that this was passed. How anyone can say that they don't care about this is just ridiculous. To lose a specie has a major impact on the web of life. You never know what will happen when a species becomes extinct, it may trigger a chain reaction.

Sometimes I'm ashamed of my peers. :rolleyes:

This irks me so much. As well as the fact that no one even seems to care about the fact it was passed. I don't think I even heard it mentioned in the news, but of course everyone hears about Loony Tom Cruise and Katie "unlike a virgin" Holmes' pregnancy. It sickens me to know that is what people care about and not the fact that this was passed. How anyone can say that they don't care about this is just ridiculous. To lose a specie has a major impact on the web of life. You never know what will happen when a species becomes extinct, it may trigger a chain reaction.

Sometimes I'm ashamed of my peers. :rolleyes:

Exactly! This hasn't been plastered all over the news like the TomKat (gag) pregnancy.

This actually could have quite an impact on our lives and on our ecosystem...yet it seems like the vast majority of people honestly could care less.

That is very depressing -_-

Its amazing, one would think that never before has something gone extinct...

Of course many things have gone extinct.

But it's horrible that not only are we now causing a lot of extinctions, but with this legislation we're almost saying that we don't give a damn.

Its amazing, one would think that never before has something gone extinct...

And one would think people with this kind of attitude towards the environment are more interested in what the latest fashion is or who is divorcing whom in hollywood, rather than what's going on in the world.

I think the news should focus more on this than on whether Katie holmes is pregnant or whether Brad and Angelina are getting married. This actually effects us. That's what annoys me with the news, they're priorities are wrong.

Extinction, yet another thing we can blame on the bush administration :rolleyes: Lovely.

The media has their priorities in exactly the right place. They are businisses whose only goal is high ratings and to make money. If there are cracked up people who will watch that felgercarb then they will show it.

But about the engandered specias act, millions upon millions upon millions of species, be it plants or animals have gone extinct in the history of this planet. Species go extinct today that humans have never learned of. People don't make species go extinct. Species go extinct because they can't adapt.

People don't make species go extinct. Species go extinct because they can't adapt.
so when people shoot animals, it's the animals fault that their skin isn't adapted to withstand bullets? while evolution plays a part in extinction, humans are more responsible for extinction of species because of our general disregard of them.

we shouldn't abuse nature because we can. we need to live in balance with nature.

so when people shoot animals, it's the animals fault that their skin isn't adapted to withstand bullets? while evolution plays a part in extinction, humans are more responsible for extinction of species because of our general disregard of them.

we shouldn't abuse nature because we can. we need to live in balance with nature.
In this country, theres no species that is legal to hunt that is endangered.

I'll admit, I'm not a an of nature and I'm not the type to run up to an animal just to be near it. But I wouldn't go out of my war to destroy it.

How can these animals adapt if we're constantly ruining their environment? Our air alone is not as clean as it could be and deforestation is definitely not helping us in the long run.

Back