Someday We'll Know

That was geat..I love the talk Jack gave Syd about Sark.The end line was funny, I can picture Syd saying that.
Thanks fo th PM.

~Rach~

ok how wicked are you? seriously you're like a writing prodidgy, i loved it, i seriously think that syd and sarks kid and tyler vaughn are the two in the prophesy, like syd and sarks kid is the second part of it. anyways enough on my hypothesising, you're the best. write faster, pretty please.

kaitie xox

Yay! Finally got caught up! :D

I'm glad there was a good explanation for Will's mole-ness. I knew he wouldn't be all murderous on purpose, that just isn't Will. I hope they can figure out a way to get him back to normal. :thinking:

It's so good Sark is getting comfortable with Syd again too. Now she just has to find the right time to tell him about the kid ... Good luck Syd.

Oh, and this was my favorite line - gotta love Jack and this was such a Jack line!
In the life we lead, I think I have that right. I don’t want to see you getting hurt because you’ve given your heart to a man who doesn’t deserve you.”

Nice work - can't wait to find out what's going on with Tyler and the prophecy! Thankies for the PM and your patience when it takes me awhile to get caught up :D

Chapter Twenty-Five

The flight wasn’t as horrible as Sydney had imagined it could be. Her father and Sark didn’t converse that much. That was mostly because Irina took up all of Sark’s attention. She was intrigued by the whole memory erasing job the Covenant did on him and wanted to see what the after effects were. Seems she had a naturally inquisitive mind.

Most women would feel a little insecure when their fairly attractive mothers started pawing their boyfriends, but in Sydney’s family, that’s what passed for normal.

Sydney spent most of the flight staring out the window. She had a lot of explaining to do to Sark about the fact they were going to have a baby. In the back of her head, there was a small voice nagging her to just come out and tell him. But she couldn’t. Not when the whole Covenant issue was unsettled. She wasn't willing to stir up both their lives with a child if she couldn’t insure the baby would be protected.

Telling her mother and father about the baby had made things a little easier. It was nice to know that someone else would be helping her look out for it’s safety. She needed that to stay sane, which was probably the only reason she had told them before she told Sark. But she knew that was all she needed. No one else would know what was going on until both she and Sark were ready for them to know.

The flight was as calm as could be expected from the four of them.

The real trouble that Sydney had been sure would happen sometime started when they got off the plane. Vaughn met them at the gate by himself. If she hadn’t been in such a serious circumstance, she would have laughed at his reaction, or should she say reactions, to their arrival.

She stepped out of the boarding gate first and saw him smile an extremely familiar smile. No matter what happened, she and Michael Vaughn would always worry about one another when they weren‘t in contact. It was no longer romantic, but it was still there. They had a connection.

Her father came next, which made Vaughn turn the smile down a notch. It seemed he still hadn’t broken his habit of being intimidated by Jack Bristow, and he didn‘t think he‘d ever forget that in Jack‘s eyes he would never be good enough for her daughter.

Sark was next, and she saw the smile erase completely. In its place was a look of concentration. He didn’t trust Julian. It also didn’t help that her father, for whatever reason, approved of Sark. There was no reasoning behind it, but she knew that Vaughn knew and that it bothered him.

When her mother finally stepped out, the concentration on his face went straight out the window. Instead, his face was full of complete horror and indecision. He really had no idea what to do with the fact that one of the most wanted criminals was standing in the same airport terminal as him. This was not the kind of thing that CIA training taught you to deal with.

“Don’t arrest her,” Sydney whispered in his ear as she gave him a quick hug. “At least not until you’ve heard her crazy plan as to how we’re going to pull this of. And after she tells you she wants to go into the facility alongside us.”

“She can’t,” Vaughn answered simply, shaking his head.

“I am,” Irina said determinately walking past him. “Assistant Director Dixon agreed to it.”

Vaughn grabbed her shoulder and spun her around to face him. “Dixon didn’t say a word to me.”

“That’s because I just got him to agree as I was exiting the plane.” Irina wiggled the cell phone that was in the palm of her hand.

“And how did you do that?” Sydney wanted to know. Her mother was truly amazing sometimes. This was one of those times.

“I explained to him that I have the best of intentions.”

“We thought you had the best of intentions when we let you access Echelon that day. That didn’t turn out so well,” Jack pointed out.

“I wish you people would stop doubting me. I’m only underhanded and sneaky when the situation calls for it. This one doesn’t. Besides, I assure Mr. Dixon that I wouldn‘t be compromising national security.” No one failed to notice a slight smile in the corner of her mouth. “At least not today.”

Vaughn sighed loudly while turning around and began to walk down the concourse. “You know I’m going to call Dixon and check this one out.”

“Go ahead,” Irina said, following him. “I’m telling the truth.”

“That’s something new.”

Jack followed Vaughn and Irina without saying another word, leaving Sydney and Sark alone to head up the rear. “So, do you know what business your mother has in the CIA’s facilities?”

“I have no idea,” Sydney said. She looked at Sark out of the corner of her eye. “And that scares me to no extent.”

“Things wouldn’t be right if your mother wasn’t making you confused and scared all at once.” Sark slipped his hand into hers. “At least things are starting to return to normal. It’s just too bad that our level of normal is so highly abnormal.”

Sydney let out a deep breath and leaned her head into the crook of his arm as they followed the rest of their group out of the airport.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Vaughn flashed his badge, and the whole crew was let in through the front doors of the CIA offices. Sydney had to admit it was nice not having to hide for once. They walked down the halls in silence, and after quickly signing in, they found themselves standing in the middle of a rather familiar rotunda.

“So, who did you get to help us?” Sydney finally asked. She had been delaying asking Vaughn for fear that her friends had finally gotten tired of continuously offering her help.

“Not as many people as were there to help you find Sark,” Vaughn admitted. “I mean, Amy’s in the hospital still.”

“How’s she doing?” She took a seat at one of the tables in the briefing room that Vaughn led them into.

“She’s okay. She hasn’t lost consciousness again, but she’s still trying to recover. The CIA has her under observation in the small med wing upstairs. What Will did to her was pretty severe.”

“How is Will doing?”

“He’s coping with his supposed actions. He still can’t believe that he stabbed his own sister and then tried to kill you, Syd. I think it’s tearing him up inside.”

“He’ll get over it,” Sark said as he took a seat next to Sydney. At their horrified looks, he added, “I mean, it’s not like Sydney isn’t going to forgive him. If she can forgive me for all the stupid things I’ve done, then Will has nothing to worry about.

Sydney shook her head and laughed lightly, turning back towards Vaughn. “So, is there anyone else available?”

“Will and Noah are both in CIA custody. Lauren is on vacation with her family and Tyler. Marshall’s agreed to help with the op tech, but we both know how he is on the actual missions. Not your number one choice for a partner. How about Anna Espinosa? Is she an option?”

“No,” Sark said rather blatantly.

She rolled her eyes. “Anna isn’t available right now. She’s busy... doing... something.” Sydney couldn’t believe she had almost told Vaughn that Anna was busy working for her mother. No one was supposed to know about Irina’s agenda, especially not a loyal employee of the US government.

“I’ll let that one slide,” Vaughn said as he turned his attention to Dixon who had just walked in.

“Tell me again why I let Irina in here,” he immediately asked.

Sark raised his hand. “Because she’s incredibly good at manipulating you stupid bastards?”

Dixon looked at Sydney. “Tell me again why I let Sark in here.”

Sydney smiled. “I can’t even answer that one, but thank you.”

“It’s all right. So, I just wanted to let you guys know that you have my unofficial support. I can’t offer it officially seeing as half of you are or were wanted criminals.” Dixon got a funny look on his face. “Come to think of it. You were all wanted by the CIA at some point in the past ten years.”

“It’s something about the family,” Sark supplied. “It makes you want to commit a crime.”

Sydney rolled her eyes again at her boyfriend’s comments. “Thank you, Dixon. I understand that Marshall’s going to be helping us get some of the technology up and going.”

“Officially, no. Unofficially, yes. The CIA thinks that Marshall is going to be on vacation the next day or so. In reality, he’s gong to be here working on your op tech. I’m sorry that there’s not anything more I can do.”

“It’s okay,” she said honestly. “In all actuality, the only two of us going in are Sark and I.”

“This is news to me,” Jack said, sitting up straight.

“Me, too,” Irina added, raising her eyebrow. She was definitely intrigued by Sydney. It seemed her daughter was becoming more like her everyday. “Do you think that’s wise?”

Sydney sent her mother a icy glare. She knew her mother was referring to the fact that she was pregnant. “I thought it over and decided it’s in everyone’s best interest.” She put a large emphasis on everyone to get her point across to her mother. “It’s too risky if a whole bunch of us went it. Sark and I are going to go in, do what has to be done, and get out. The less people to keep track of, the better.”

Dixon nodded. “So, why did you have to come to LA? We both know that I could have figured out a way to give Marshall time to come to you in New York.”

Sydney smiled at Dixon, causing him to start to get nervous. She only smiled like that when she knew she was about to ask for something ridiculous and impossible to get. “What do you want?”

“I lied a little a few seconds ago. When I said Sark and I were going to be the only two people going, I meant the only two former spies. I want Will to come with us to Tokyo.”

“You want a mentally unstable man to accompany you to a foreign country? Out of the question.”

“It’s really important that he does come with us.” Sydney turned to Sark, pleading with her eyes for him to help her.

“Sydney and I think we’ve come up with a way to get him to help us, no matter if he’s normal Will or psychotic Will. So, it wouldn’t be that bad.”

“And are you going to return him when you’re done?” Dixon asked.

“Probably.”

“Probably is not good enough for me in this situation.”

“It’s all I can give you.” Sydney stood up and walked over to where Dixon was standing. “I need your help on this one. Please.”

He nodded slowly after a moment. “I’ll help. But I’m telling you right now that I can’t get him officially released.”

“But you can let him escape,” Sark supplied.

“Yes.” Dixon sighed and made his way over to the door. “Be at the C Wing doors at about midnight tonight. Will will be there. Jack, could you come with me? I have a few things to talk to you about one of your upcoming missions.”

“Thank you,” Sydney said for the millionth time.

“I wish I could say make this the last time I have to do some ridiculous, outlandish favor for you, but I know that you’ll be asking for another one in a week or two.”

Sydney watched Dixon walk out of the office with her father before she turned to Sark. “I love that man.”

“He’s starting to grow on me, too,” Sark said with a smirk.

Vaughn walked over to Sydney and Sark. “There’s something you need to know, though.”

“What now?” Sark asked, shaking his head.

Vaughn scowled at him. “Will is a field-certified agent with the CIA. He went undercover when you went missing for those two years, Syd.”

Sydney stared at him in disbelief. Sark made a wisecrack to take a little of the tension out of the situation. “First, he’s a psychotic brainwashee. Now you expect me to believe that the CIA put him through training and threw him out into the field.”

“You wouldn’t know about it. It all happened when you were locked up,” Vaughn pointed out. “Will infiltrated the Covenant in an attempt to figure out why you had to die.”

“But I pulled him out of Witness Protection,” she commented.

“By the time you went to Wisconsin, he really was in Witness Protection. He quit working for the Covenant shortly after you, as Julia Thorne, made contact with Kendall. If you knew someone so familiar was working alongside you, they both believed it would send you into a downward spiral. Kendall needed you on the inside. So he pulled Will out, and Will came willingly.”

“And then I had to go and screw him life up once again.” Sydney blinked her tears back. “He was happy in Wisconsin, you know? I had to ruin that.”

Sark realized that the conversation was getting a little too hard on Sydney and tried to steer it back to a safer topic. “So that must have been when the Covenant screwed with his head?”

“We believe that they used a brainwashing technique to place a dormant suggestion into his subconscious. He didn’t know they did it until you two caught him red-handed so to speak.”

“So, he was telling the truth?” Sydney asked.

“Looks like it. But the CIA is still not one hundred percent positive. Hence Dixon’s inability to get him released officially.” Vaughn looked over at Sydney and saw a strange look cross her face. “What’s the matter?”

Sydney looked around the room wildly. “My father left with Dixon, and the three of us have been talking since then. So where the hell did my mother go?”

“s***,” Vaughn muttered to himself.

Sark watched him run out of the room and leaned back in his chair. “This can’t be good.”

Oh, first to review! :D

Right off the bat -

Most women would feel a little insecure when their fairly attractive mothers started pawing their boyfriends, but in Sydney’s family, that’s what passed for normal.
So true. When your mom looks like Irina, you have to get over that quick.

And how typical of Syd to hold off on telling Sark about the baby, but really there hasn't been a good time. Hopefully, she will get to tell him before it's too late!

And hmmm, I wonder what SpyMom's up to?

Great update and lucky you for having a day off ;) Thanks for the PM!

“Come to think of it. You were all wanted by the CIA at some point in the past ten years.”  “It’s something about the family,” Sark supplied. “It makes you want to commit a crime.”

Lol :lol: ...that made me laugh...but it's true!

Good update...when is Syd going to tell him!?

Thanx for the PM!

“I’ll let that one slide,” Vaughn said as he turned his attention to Dixon who had just walked in.

Sark raised his hand. “Because she’s incredibly good at manipulating you stupid bastards?”

“It’s all right. So, I just wanted to let you guys know that you have my unofficial support. I can’t offer it officially seeing as half of you are or were wanted criminals.” Dixon got a funny look on his face. “Come to think of it. You were all wanted by the CIA at some point in the past ten years.”

“It’s something about the family,” Sark supplied. “It makes you want to commit a crime.”
ROTFLMAO That was the best part !!! That was great tho ... where the hell did Irina go they should have known better thank to take their eyes off her ... lol loved this chapter ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

:blush: Hi!! I finally got the guts to join and have been reading this story for months!!! :D Pretty Pretty Please add me to your PM list! :read: BTW, you really need to get Sydney to tell Sark shes PREGNANT!! :stick: :Please: - i dont care if your not ready :blush: , we really really really really really really really really really really really really really really need to see his reaction!!! :angry:

kidblink83 said:
“She can’t,” Vaughn answered simply, shaking his head.

“I am,” Irina said determinately walking past him. “Assistant Director Dixon agreed to it.”

Vaughn grabbed her shoulder and spun her around to face him. “Dixon didn’t say a word to me.”

“That’s because I just got him to agree as I was exiting the plane.” Irina wiggled the cell phone that was in the palm of her hand.

“And how did you do that?” Sydney wanted to know. Her mother was truly amazing sometimes. This was one of those times.

“I explained to him that I have the best of intentions.”

“We thought you had the best of intentions when we let you access Echelon that day. That didn’t turn out so well,” Jack pointed out.

“I wish you people would stop doubting me. I’m only underhanded and sneaky when the situation calls for it. This one doesn’t. Besides, I assure Mr. Dixon that I wouldn‘t be compromising national security.” No one failed to notice a slight smile in the corner of her mouth. “At least not today.”

Vaughn sighed loudly while turning around and began to walk down the concourse. “You know I’m going to call Dixon and check this one out.”

“Go ahead,” Irina said, following him. “I’m telling the truth.”

“That’s something new.”

Jack followed Vaughn and Irina without saying another word, leaving Sydney and Sark alone to head up the rear. “So, do you know what business your mother has in the CIA’s facilities?”

“I have no idea,” Sydney said. She looked at Sark out of the corner of her eye. “And that scares me to no extent.”

“Things wouldn’t be right if your mother wasn’t making you confused and scared all at once.” Sark slipped his hand into hers. “At least things are starting to return to normal. It’s just too bad that our level of normal is so highly abnormal.”

Sydney rolled her eyes again at her boyfriend’s comments.

“I wish I could say make this the last time I have to do some ridiculous, outlandish favor for you, but I know that you’ll be asking for another one in a week or two.”

Sydney watched Dixon walk out of the office with her father before she turned to Sark. “I love that man.”

“He’s starting to grow on me, too,” Sark said with a smirk.

Sydney looked around the room wildly. “My father left with Dixon, and the three of us have been talking since then. So where the hell did my mother go?”

“s***,” Vaughn muttered to himself.

Sark watched him run out of the room and leaned back in his chair. “This can’t be good.”
This chapter was so funny :lol: ..I loved Irina and Vaughns conversation and Sark smart ass replies.Can't wait for her to tell Sark she's pregnant, isn't it dangerous for her to go on a mission now that she's pregnant..

~Rach~

LOL!!! That was one of the funniest chapters yet :lol: I love this fic so far.. when's she going to tell him about the baby?! & where's Irina?

Chapter Twenty-Six

Sydney leaned back against the soft cushiony padding of the backseat, feeling the sweat softly drip down her face. She pushed it away with the back of her hand. It normally wasn’t this hot at this time of year, but when you’re driving through the Mojave Desert, one could expect a little extra heat. The windows were rolled down, letting in a very small but cooling breeze. She sighed and closed her eyes.

“Why does it always seem like I’m taking down evil organizations?” she asked with her eyes closed.

“Because you are,” answered Sark, who was sitting next to her.

She opened her eyes a little to look at him. “Why is that?”

He shrugged and turned his attention to looking out the window again.

Sydney kicked off her shoes and placed her feet in his lap, staring out her window. Five hours ago, she never would have guessed she’d be traveling through the Desert in an attempt to take down the Covenant.

After searching for over an hour, they found Irina sitting outside of Noah’s prison cell having a fairly meaningless conversation with him about semi-automatic weapons. She claimed that she had gotten bored with all the talk of impossibilities and unsanctioned help.

“What the hell have you been up to?” Sydney asked Irina.

She wasn’t even surprised when her mother’s eyes shifted from hers to Vaughn, who was standing next to her, slightly out of breath from their extensive search of the facilities. “Do you still love my daughter?” she asked, balls out.

“That is so inappropriate,” Sydney responded immediately.

“Yes,” Vaughn said, ignoring the strange look Sydney gave him. “Not in the way that I once did, but I care for Sydney all the same.”

“Good. Because I need you to do something so that her life is a little easier.”

“Stop the cryptic code talk, Irina,” Sark warned. He hated when she got all super spy on him.

“I need you to get the CIA to release Noah Hicks. He hasn’t done anything wrong.”

“At least not in a few years,” Noah added from behind the Plexiglas wall.

“Nothing that we know about,” Vaughn said, staring at him coldly. “Why should I get the CIA to release him?”

“Many reasons.” Irina stopped up and walked in front of him so that they were eye to eye. “One, it will make Amy Tippin extremely happy if when she gets out of the hospital, her boyfriend isn’t a prisoner of the state. Two, like I previously said, he hasn’t officially done anything to warrant imprisonment. And three, if you let him go, I’ll tell my daughter where Weiss and Conway are because they are certainly not in Tokyo.”

Vaughn crossed his arms in front of himself. “What makes you think that they’ve left Tokyo?”

“Come on,” Irina said, rolling her eyes at him. “After what Mr. Hot Head over there did?” She nodded in Sark’s general direction.

“What did he do?” Vaughn eyed Sark and Sydney suspiciously as they were both making a strong effort not to look him in the eye.

“He went after Conway and Weiss himself. Probably could have killed them, too. Only that isn’t as fun as making them suffer for the rest of their lives, is it, Julian?” Sark smiled weakly, still looking at the ground. “He left Conway with a nasty bullet graze and a headache the size of Russia. Neither of your ex-CIA friends were pleased. They relocated to a spot they thought no one knew about.”

“But you somehow magically do?” Vaughn asked. “And you won’t tell your daughter even though it might cause her further pain and suffering?”

Sydney let out a small chuckle which called everyone’s attention to her. “Haven’t you learned yet? With my mother, it’s all about profit. Everything’s about profit.”

“Exactly,” Irina said. “And I want to profit from this.”

“And how does letting Noah Hicks out of our custody make you profit?” Vaughn asked.

“That’s none of your business.”

Sark rolled his eyes, realizing this conversation wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and walked over to stare at Noah through the clear barrier. “So, do you feel like a caged animal in a zoo or what?”

“Yeah, but isn’t that typical?”

“I was in there for two years. All anyone did was walk by and glare at me. That is, if they weren’t demanding I tell them everything I know about anything. Have you gotten a lot of that?”

“Every hour on the hour.”

“And they never used to listen when I tried to explain that I had been cooped up in a prison cell for quite a while and there was no possible way I had any intel that they didn’t know about.” Sark smirked. “Which was of course a lie.”

“Of course. A man has to have his secrets.”

“Like why Irina wants you out of government custody,” Sark prodded.

“That would be a secret I’m not going to tell you.”

“Can’t blame a guy for trying.” The two men looked back at where Vaughn and Sydney were screaming at each other with Irina smiling at them.

“How does she do that?” Noah asked, remarking on Irina’s ability to turn a situation to her advantage.

“It’s a Bristow woman thing. Sydney can do that, too. I mean, obviously you know that. You were intimate with her once.”

“Yeah, I was. And now I hear that you are filling that position.”

“And don’t you forget it,” Sark said, staring Noah in the face through the dividing glass. “I don’t want you to try stealing her away from me like you did when she had that pseudo-relationship with Michael Vaughn. Thought, I don’t see why you would. You seem perfectly content with Amy Tippin.”

“I am,” Noah said. He looked back at the slightly calmed down scene. “They have been discussing my impending release for over five minutes now. And I feel like I’m not even in the room.”

Sark nodded. “I’ve been imbedded in their lives for years now, and they still leave me out of all the important conversations.”

“That stinks,” Noah said sympathetically, turning back to the action. “Looks like Irina’s winning.”

“She always does.” Sark walked back to where Sydney, Irina, and Vaughn were standing. Vaughn had pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and was talking heatedly with someone.

“So, what’s going on?” Sark asked as he slipped his hand into Sydney’s. She wouldn’t admit it, but her whole body demeanor was screaming for comfort.

“My mother convinced him.”

“Sounded more like you were doing the convincing.”

“I know.” Sydney looked up at him. “I don’t know what came over me.”

“Your mother.” He leaned down and kissed her lightly on the nose as Vaughn slapped his cell phone shut.

“Well?” Irina asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s done.” Vaughn turned to Noah. “You should be released within a few hours.”

Noah nodded and looked over at Sark. “Guess they did remember that I was in the room...” He knocked on the glass division. “...sort of.”

After a few quick goodbyes and one meaningful look between Irina and Noah, they left him alone in his cell.

“Now, that wasn’t too bad, was it?” Irina asked.

“No,” Vaughn said reluctantly. “So, where are Eric and Stephanie?”

“Oh, I don’t know that,” Irina said. Vaughn halted in his tracks. “I’m kidding. They’re in Death Valley. You should be able to get there in five hours by car. Four if Dixon manages to keep the cops from pulling you over.”

Sydney nodded her head. “Well, the easy part is over. Now it’s on to the hard part.”

“And that would be?” Sark asked.

“Talking to Will and convincing him that he needs to help us whether he wants to or not.” She looked at three of the most important people in her life. “And I’m going to do it alone.”

Sydney walked away from them without saying another word or waiting for the arguments to start. She knew that Dixon had already arranged for her to pick up a suddenly guard-less Will later that night, but she couldn’t afford to lose so many precious hours. Will was coming with her now.

After a quick visit with Marshall, Sydney stood in front of a line of cells. She waved the guards away from guarding Will’s particular cell, and for whatever reason, they complied. Punching in a code that no one knew she had, the door slid open and stayed that way.

“Is that wise?” Will asked, sitting up on his cot. “Haven’t you heard? Turns out I’m a psycho killer that’s bent on ruining your life.”

“I can deal with that if you can.” She took a seat next to him. “I need your help again, Will. And since your life is already ruined, I figure at this point I can’t do much more to screw it up.”

Will chuckled. “What do you need me to do? Go over a few documents for you? Try to remember what exactly I learned when I was working with the Covenant? Get memory repression therapy so I can remember something Weiss was typing on his laptop?”

Sydney gave him an unamused look. “Nothing that complicated. I just need you to escape CIA custody and go take down the Covenant with me.”

“I’m not mentally stable enough to do that, and you know it.”

“I don’t care how stable you are. I need you to help me if I’m going to get this done.”

Will looked at her in concern. “You’re on a mission, aren’t you, Sydney Bristow?”

“Nothing in the universe can stop me,” she said with a grin.

After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Will said, “But I can’t help you. I just can’t. I’m too much of a risk. The CIA hasn’t figured out how to reverse what the Covenant did to me. Until that point, I’m not going to step foot out of this cell.”

Sydney sighed and grasped his hand in hers without turning to look at him. “Then you’re going to have to spend the rest of your life in a cell, Will.”

“What do you mean?”

She finally looked at him, and he noticed she had begun to cry. “A few hours ago, Sark looked into the technique they used to make you a sleeper agent. It isn’t reversible, Will. There’s no way it can be fixed.”

He pulled his hand out of hers, stood up, and began pacing across the cell. “I’m stuck like this forever? Never knowing if I’m going to be good or bad when I wake up in the morning?”

“Not exactly.” Sydney stood up. “It seems that you’re eventually going to settle somewhere in the middle, and the tests the CIA have been running seem to indicate that you have some degree of free will in your decisions. For whatever reason, the brainwashing wasn’t as effective as they hoped. Bottom line is you’re never going to be the same, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to become a bad person.”

“I tried to kill you, Sydney. I’m already a bad person.”

She smirked at him. “I have a habit of forgiving bad people. Hell! I think I’ve been one of those alleged bad people before. If I can forgive myself, then I think I can forgive you.” She grabbed his hand again. “Come with me. Help take down the bastards that did this to you.”

Will stared at her for a moment before nodding. She pulled him out of the open cell door and began to walk down the hall. “So, we’re just going to walk out of here?”

“Not exactly,” she said a few seconds before the building began to shake. “Marshall made us a slight diversion.”

Will could hear crashes and a few screams. “Marshall caused an earthquake?” he screamed.

“A simulation of one, correct.” Sydney pushed open a door and ran out into the smoggy sunshine of outside L.A. The alarm rang, but no one was paying attention to it. There were alarms ringing everywhere.

Sydney walked over to a parked car that had seen better days. Sark was sitting in the driver’s seat, but when he saw them coming, he got out of the car. Nodding slightly to Will, he tossed him the keys. “You’re driving.”

“Can you trust me to do that?” Will asked, sliding into the driver’s seat.

“You’re going to have to start earning our trust sometime,” Sark said as he sat down in the backseat. “Think of it as me paying you back for giving me a chance a few weeks ago when you found out that I was the one Syd recruited you to save from the Covenant. Besides, I’m tired. Sydney’s tired. We need a few hours off if we’re going to do this.”

Will nodded and turned the ignition while Sydney slipped into the backseat. “Here we go. I hope you know what you’re doing.”

Sydney smiled at him. “I hope so, too.”

“Does this junker have air conditioning?” Will asked, looking around.

Back