The Beginning

Disclaimer: ALIAS - obviously not mine, if it was...would I be here?

Rating: Pushing PG-13...Angsty...Drama...bring out the box of tissues.

A/N: This story is about Irina as a child, basically my theory on what happened to her as a child to explain her defiant ways. Events lead from childhood up to her recruitment to the KGB. Originally a 1 parter, but b/c of the good turn out, I'll continue. ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Where is my money!?!?” She could hear him scream in their native tongue.

She rushes to the kitchen, a crying child cradled in her arms. “Please Vladimir” she pleads, “Irina needed new shoes and Katya a new dress.”

“You spent my money on that worthlessness?!” He screamed and slapped the woman across the face. She stumbled back and the child in her arms cried in fear. “I work hard for that money and its is MY money. I spend it with what I choose. And if I choose not to give you any then so be it!”

He pushes her out of her way and storms out of the tiny apartment.

The woman sees her daughters carefully walk into the kitchen. She wipes the tears off her face and composes herself.

“Mama…” Irina reaches out and takes the baby from her mother’s arms “Let me take Elena.”

“Mama” Katya hugged her mother tightly, “If I give back the dress, will that make papa happy?” Her mother cried, “No, sweetheart. Don’t worry about your Papa, he is just having a bad day.”

“Katya, come help me with Elena” Irina said. “Mama? How much was the dress and the shoes?”

Her mother gave her a questioning look. “15 rubles.”

Irina took Katya’s hand and with Elena went to the tiny bedroom they shared. Katya sat on the bed and placed her little sister on her lap. She watched Irina move about the room.

“Where are you going?” she questioned.

“I’m going to sell back my shoes in the market.” Irina put on her coat and hid the shoes underneath it.

“Wait…sell back my dress. Its in the top drawer of the dresser.” Katya pointed.

Irina shook her head, “No Katya, you need the dress.”

“I want to make Papa happy.”

“Fine.” Irina took the dress from the top drawer “You can take one of my dresses.”

Katya smiled and watched her sister walk out of the room.

~*~*~*~*
It was a bitter winter day as Irina walked 2 miles to the market. Her feet throbbed in pain from her small shoes, she could feel the snow through the tiny hole in the bottom of her shoe; but she continued steadily to the little market.

Once there she went to every booth possible, finding the highest buyer for the items.

Two hours passed and the most she could get for it was 5 rubles.

Irina went to a small clothing store at the end of the market.

“Ma’am?”

A middle-aged woman with salt and pepper hair turned around and looked at the small child.

“I’m selling this dress and these shoes, are you interested in buying?” Her tiny arms held out the merchandise.

The woman jeered, “I refuse to buy such peasant merchandise! You probably stole those items! Get out of here you little thief before you ruin my business!!” She swung her hands out and swatted Irina away.

A woman in the distance watched the scene before her. Sympathetically she looked at the tiny girl as she whimpered away and continued to walk.

“Little girl!” she called out “What are you selling?”

Irina turned around, “This dress and these shoes.”

“Now why would a little girl like you sell a perfectly good outfit?” She looked down at the ragged dress Irina was wearing and her worn out shoes and compared it to the items Irina was showing her.

Irina bit her lip and refused to answer.

The woman smiled, “Its alright. How about I give you 12 rubles…”

Irina’s stomach growled, causing her to blush in embarrassment.

“And I buy you something to eat?”

Irina shook her head. “I will take your offer on the dress, but I want to take the food home so we can have something to eat tonight.”

The woman nodded and gave Irina the money. They walked to a produce store and the woman bought bread, soup, and fruit for her.

It would be the last Irina ever saw that woman, but her act of kindness was never forgotten.

~*~*~*~*

“Irina!” her mother rushed to the door. “Where have you been?!”

Irina held out the food. “I got some food at the market…” she handed the money to her mother “and I sold the shoes and the dress.”

“12 rubles?” Her mother’s eyes became glossy with tears. “How did you manage to get so much…and…and the food…” Taking the food to the kitchen she placed it on some plates.

“Your father will be very happy.” Katya heard her mother say as she entered the kitchen with Elena.

Her mother stopped serving the food and looked at Katya and Irina. “But you still need a dress Katya and Irina…” She bent down and took the shoes off of Irina’s feet, which were blistered, swollen and cold. “…you have no shoes.”

“Its okay Mama, Irina gave me one of her dresses.” Katya gave her a reassuring smile.

“Woman!” a shout came from the apartment door.

Irina watched her drunken father stumble in and slam the door behind him.

With a bottle of Vodka in tow, he eyed the food on the table. He pushed Irina and her sisters from the table and began to eat like a vicious animal.

“Vladimir…” Irina’s mother showed him the money “I sold back the dress and the shoes, I got 12 rubles for it.”

He stopped eating long enough to snatch the money from her hand. “You are missing 3 rubles!”

Vladimir shoved Irina’s mother against the wall, “I want those 3 rubles!” He slapped her again.

Irina had enough of her father’s treatment towards her mother. She ran to the drunken burly man, her tiny fists pounded on his back.

“Leave her alone!!!”

Her father laughed and grabbed her by the arm. “You disobedient little b****!”

Everything from that point was a blur, but she can still hear the screams of her mother in the background, the crying of her sisters, and the pain that shot through her body.

His fists hit her ribs; she could feel then cracking on contact.

Irina whimpered, as he pulled off his belt and slashed her across the back.

In matter of seconds it was all over.

Irina was balled up in pain there in the middle of the room.

Her father scoffed and spat “Learn to fight you disobedient b****!” His feet pounded hard against the floor as he walked out the door again.

She cried as she felt her mother cradled her carefully

But in the back of Irina’s mind she promised herself she would never fall victim to her father’s mistreatment.

Nor will she ever allow anyone to mistreat her family again.

This was the beginning of Irina Derevko.

that was so good! i really liked tht is was about irina as a kid!!!!! thanks for the pm and if you update it could I get a pm? thanks and i hope you continue this fic! good uck on your finals!!!!!!

Wow. That was great. I mean, not how sad it was, but your writing and imagination. I wonder if her life was really like that. It was good and if you do continue, I of course would love a pm. Great job!

omg that was sooooo good!!! your a good writer thanks for letting me read it!!! :D :D it was real gewd!!! very sad and touching but thats a good point you have manged to touch one of your readers and there are many to come!!! :D :D :( lol!

Aww... it's so cute. ^_^ Well, cute in a destructive-ish way. Let's try that again. Little Irina and Katya are cute. There we go. That one works. ;)

Patomac said:
Aww... it's so cute. ^_^ Well, cute in a destructive-ish way. Let's try that again. Little Irina and Katya are cute. There we go. That one works. ;)
*chuckles* For a second there I thought you were serious. Thanks for the clarification.

AliasEncyclopedia Posted on Apr 16 2004, 05:26 PM
  *waves*  Hey crystal, wats up? This was great i am really interested please continue and can i get a pm? 

*waves* Hi Ethan! Nothing much going on here. Finals...*screams*.

Seeing that I've gotten a good turnout...I will continue! ^_^

This really shows Irina's defiance and need to protect her family, which was a really good angle ^_^

If you continue, can I get a PM?

that was random Mac...

CRYS!!! thank you for the pm. the story was fantastico.
i love it. so sad. she had a terrible childhood.
pm? :D

A/N: I'm sure some of you might have questions for this next part. Feel free to ask.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Changes (1/2)</span>

“That is all. Class dismissed.” the heavy-set, middle-aged mathematics teacher said with a wave of her hand.

The students rushed out the door like a heard of cattle, Irina waited for the crowd to dissipate before proceeding.

“Irina?” the teacher walked from behind her desk. “May I have a word?”

“Yes Miss Galin?” Irina twirled around.

“I want to commend you on your work in this class. You surpass all the students in the 7th grade.”

“Thank you, Miss Galin.” She gave a smile and glanced at the clocked on the wall. Kayta is waiting for me, she thought.

“I want to invite your family over for supper this Friday, if that is possible? I feel I need to discuss options to get into a better schooling program.”

“I will see if my family can come.” She quickly answered. “I’m sorry, but I must go.”

The teacher nodded and watched Irina hurry out the room.

The playground was half-empty by the time Irina arrived. Her eyes darted about, but no sign of her sister.

Something on the far end of the playground, near a secluded wall caught her attention.

“Your father is nothing but a drunken bastard and your mother…” the boy chuckled “is Russia’s little w****! You Petrovich’s are good for nothing Russians.” He spit in Katya’s face.

“I am not a Petrovich!!!” Katya’s little voice strained, as she pushed the boy away from her. “I’m a Derevko!”

“Ohhh…I soooo scared!” he mocked

Katya grabbed a handful of dirt and threw it in the boy’s face, momentarily blinding him.

“Why you little…” He responded in anger, wiping dirt from his eyes. “I’ll teach you a lesson!”

Grabbing Katya, he pinned her against the wall.

Irina dropped her books and ran to scene. She lunged towards the boy and knocked him to the ground.

Irina swung at the boy, punching him hard in the face. He yelped in pain as he tried to stand up. Once regaining his balance, he swung a fist towards Irina’s face, but narrowly missed.

Irina punched him the stomach and the boy doubled over. With one last kick in the shin, the boy fell back to the ground and Irina and Katya made their escape.

~*~*~*~*

They reached home, barely in time for dinner. Both sisters ran straight to their room to change clothes, trying to hide any evidence of the events of that afternoon.

“Irina? Katya?” they could here their mother calling.

“Room…mama!” Elena pointed the location of her sisters. Her mother picked her up and walked to their room.

“My goodness!” her mother exclaimed. “What have you girls gotten yourselves into?”

Both girls froze.

Their mother eyed Irina’s dirt and blood stained dress. Placing Elena down on the floor, she walked to Irina.

“You got into a fight again, didn’t you?” she interrogated.

“Mama…Ivan wouldn’t leave Katya alone, he was going to hurt her and I wasn’t going to let that happen!” Irina argued. “If I wasn’t late, then it wouldn’t have happened!”

“Why were you late?” her mother pulled a clean dress from the dress and handed to Irina.

“Miss Galin needed to talk to me.” She took the clean dress from her mother. “She says she wants to have dinner with you to discuss options for an advanced school.”

Irina’s mother felt proud upon hearing those words, but she quickly regained her authority.

“I’m glad you are doing so well in school, but you know that fighting is not proper for a girl.” She scolded.

“And its not proper for a man to hit a woman.” Irina retorted, “I can’t sit back and just do nothing.”

Her mother was pained at hearing those words, her 13-year old daughter wisdom surpassed her age.

“Irina, you know that without your father, I cannot support you.”

“Support us? Mama, he’s barely given up 5 rubles! How many nights do we go to bed hungry? How many times do we walk in shoes that leave us with blisters? How times do we have to suffer from his abuse before you realize we don’t need him!”

She’s right, her mother thought.

“Get washed up....both of you.” She picked Elena up again. “We will be having dinner tonight.”

Back