Remnants

Author: Jessica (alias_babe2007) & Angel
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: These characters aren't ours, be just borrowed them and twisted 'em a little bit to fit our purposes ;) They belong to the brilliant mastermind, JJ Abrams and Co.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>"Remnants"</span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Prologue</span>

Darkness fell across the forest. Things once clearly visible were now almost hidden from view, lit only by slanted moonlight from the crescent that hung low in the sky. The wind made but a whisper as it passed through the maze of trees.

Leaves crunched beneath her feet as she crept along the deserted path. Dressed in a warm black coat, black pants, and sturdy leather boots, she made her way quickly but quietly towards her destination. Only the sparse light from a flashlight guided her way.

Ten minutes later she had reached the back of a building. No gates. No dogs. No visible security cameras. No guards in the way. Leave it to the United States government to be careless like that. They were far too comfortable on their own land. And it would cost them this time, because she was about to break into one of their weapon research centers and steal some valuable information.

She couldn't go in through the front - or any door for that matter. She knew the alarms would go off. She also knew she couldn't break in through a window. So that left one option: the air vents on top of the three story building.

No problem; she could handle it. She snuck to the side of the building, well-concealed by the darkness and the surrounding bushes. Crouched down low, she took the backpack off her shoulders and dropped it in front of her so she could take out the necessary supplies. With perfect aim, she tossed a rope up to the roof. The weighted end caught on the gutter and she pulled it taut. Backpack re-secured, she grabbed hold of the rope and used it to scale the side of the building with graceful ease.

Once she reached the top, she crawled to the nearest air vent. She drilled it open and put the lid aside, then descended down the long tunnel until she reached the top floor, exiting out into a dark, unoccupied hallway.

She knew exactly where she was going. The directions were deeply imbedded in her memory. Second floor, last room on the left. She met with no resistance and entered the room easily by picking the lock.

She began searching for the new hydrogen bomb that was in the making. It wasn't just any bomb. It was specially created to only explode in a one-hundred and eighty degree radius instead of the normal three-hundred and sixty degrees. Was it even possible? She didn't think so, but her employer wanted to investigate this just in case.

Finally she saw it, locked inside a big glass case for protection. The case was built into the table so that if the alarms went off, it would fall down into a fireproof compartment below ground.

She quickly took out her battery-powered laser and cut through the metal lock to the case. She opened it up, took out the bomb, and placed it in a leather pouch with cushioned support in case it was dropped. She slipped the pouch into her backpack and headed towards the door.

Everything was fine until she crossed the doorway of the room. Suddenly an alarm was triggered, the sound loud and shrill. Thinking fast, she made a quick dash down the hallway, hoping to escape the building before anyone had time to find her.

She climbed back up the air vent to the top of the building, but by the time she reached the end, she could hear police sirens outside. She crawled across the top low to the ground, and slid down the backside of the building on the rope she'd left there. She glanced both directions, and, seeing nobody, she raced across the clearing towards the woods.

That's when it happened. She heard the loud blast of gunfire and almost instantly felt pain in her left leg. The blow sent her forcefully to the ground, her backpack coming loose from her shoulders. Her leg felt like it was on fire, her mouth was coated with dirt and dust, and her eyes stung as she held back tears. Without so much as a whimper, she reached for the bag and attempted to stand up.

"Hold it!" she heard a voice almost on top of her, and looked up to see an armed policeman with a gun aimed at her head. Two more men came up behind him and took hold of her arms, cuffing them behind her back. She would have fought them, but she couldn't even stand on one foot let along both of them, and they all had guns ready to fire. She didn't doubt that they'd shoot her again if she tried to escape.

Defeated, she allowed them to help her to the nearest police car. She wanted to scream or fight or do something, but she couldn't. She was caught by the US government, and there was no way out. What had seemed to be an easy mission had turned out to be her doom.

A/N:So, what do you think? Please post and let us know! :smiley: Thanks for reading

Chapter 1

Sasha looked around the small room she was in, waiting for someone to come talk to her. She wasn't shackled or anything like that, which she had expected. She knew it wasn't because these people trusted her not to try and escape, so she didn't understand their reasoning. She wasn't going to try getting out of here, though. Where could she go? She knew no one here.

That wasn't to say she planned on cooperating with anything. They were going to have a very hard time getting any information out of her. She owed them nothing. She looked up as someone entered, staring at them with hard, angry eyes.

The first of the two men was tall and bald, with intense, demanding blue eyes that portrayed nothing but his overall disgust and impatience with the world. He stood before her, challenging her strength. It didn't take Sasha but two seconds to decide that she didn't like him and would never trust him.

Beside this intimidating man was another, more subdued man. He stood there in quiet obedience, waiting to receive orders. The first man, who was obviously in charge, spoke to his assistant in a language Sasha did not quite understand.

Then the assistant looked at her and asked in Russian, "Mr. Kendall here has reason to believe you are quite familiar with Irina Derevko's operations. Is that true?"

Sasha narrowed her eyes at the man, then up at Kendall. The challenge she tossed back at him was just as firm as the one he sent her. With her chin raised defiantly, she replied, "I have nothing to say."

Kendall sighed, but he tried a few times more to speak to this woman, but she couldn't be persuaded to say anything. After forty-five minutes, Kendall gave up, and the translator left with him.

Sasha was glad they were gone. She supposed they thought that just because she was a woman, she'd be easy to break. They didn't know who they were dealing with. At twenty years old, she'd already been a part of Derevko's organization for four years. She wasn't going to throw that all away after one afternoon of being trapped in a building in the United States.

She'd hoped they would leave her alone for some time, but after less than an hour, someone else came in. This man was younger, and spoke more quietly than the last man had. Sasha only watched him as he came in and sat down. She didn't know why he'd spoken to her in the absence of the translator. He must have realized she wouldn't understand him. But he'd done it anyway. He hadn't looked at her kindly, but she had gotten the sense that he wasn't going to be overly pushy. After a few more minutes, the translator came back, and they began to talk.

"I realize you have no intentions of talking to us," the man began, and the translator relayed this message to Sasha. "You've heard all of Kendall's outlandish threats if you refuse to talk. You aren't fazed by them in the least." He paused, his green eyes urgently eyes pleading her to understand. "But there is more at stake here than you think.We believe Ms. Derevko is planning an attack on US intelligence agencies."

Sasha eyed him suspiciously. "And what do you think I'm going to do? Just tell you everything so that you can stop her? I don't work that way."

"I know," he answered patiently. "You could probably care less what happens to this country, but what if I told you that you were born an American?"

Sasha was taken aback by this news. For as long as she could remember she'd lived in Russia with her mother. She had no recollections or memories of anything in the United States, except for the times when she'd been sent into the country to carry out her missions. She stared at the man intently, trying to figure out if he was lying or not. She didn't really believe him. Why should she?

"I think I should know better than anyone where I was born," Sasha snapped. "And you have no right to come in here and try to manipulate me."

"I'm not trying to play you," the man insisted. "I'm telling you the truth."

"Well, I don't believe you," Sasha replied, arms crossed over her chest. "I don't appreciate you coming in here and acting like you're trying to help me. I don't need any help."

"I'm sure you don't," he agreed, standing up to leave. "But your ties to this country are stronger than you think. If you knew the full extent of what your mother was doing --
to the United States and to your own family-- then maybe you'd be more inclined to help us. Think about it. You have a chance to do something great."

Sasha just glared at him. She didn't want to hear this. Not now. She still didn't believe him. He might be nicer than Kendall, but that didn't mean she could trust him. She wasn't going to trust anyone.

"I think I should know what my mother does," she spat at him. "I do work for her, you know."

"Yes, you do. But that doesn't mean you know everything she is involved in. We have proof, I can show you."

Sasha guessed whatever "proof" these people had was fake, but decided to look at it anyway. She'd been trained to spot anything false or counterfeit. She would know if the documantation was real. She challenged the man with her eyes, but nodded her agreement. He said things she didn't understand, then left.

Twenty minutes later, he returned, carrying a box full to the brim with files. He soon had these laid out on the table in front of Sasha. The documents seemed real, though they were all in English and she couldn't read them. The photographs captured her attention much more. They were full color, obviously originals. When Sasha finished looking at them, she stepped back from the table, shaking her head.

"My mother would never do things like that. I've never seen her kill anyone, let alone in such... horrible ways! I don't know where you got all of this from, but you must have the wrong person. I know my mother. I've spent most of my life only with her, and the people we work with. She would never act like this."

"That's what she wants you to believe," he countered, leaning back in his chair. "She wants you to think she's in this for the right reasons, and that by working for her you are helping your country. She is the master of manipulation."

"And I'm just supposed to believe every word you say when I've known you for what - an hour at the most?" Sasha tossed back angrily, throwing a picture on the table. "I might be young, but I'm not naive. And the last thing I'm going to do is sit here while you try to convert me to your side."

The man sighed, and after a short pause, he collected all the pictures and files together and put them back in their box. Sasha watched him carefully, trying to read his mood. He wasn't angry, or even frustrated. He just seemed...sad.

He looked at her as he stood up, his eyes kind and patient. Sasha swallowed, feeling a little guilty for having lashed out at him, and lowered her gaze.

"I'll leave you alone for a while, Ms. Derevko," he said quietly, and the translator relayed these words to Sasha. "Just think about all this proof I've shown you. Think about what you know about your mother. If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll find that she doesn't deserve to be on that pedestal you've put her on."

With that he silently left the room, leaving Sasha to drown in her own thoughts.

It seemed to Sasha that she sat there forever thinking things through. She surprised herself by even taking the man's advice, but she couldn't seem to help it. So, she started with the earliest memories she had and worked her way through everything.

It was true she'd always lived with her mother, but she could remember many times when she'd stayed with friends of theirs instead. Being a very perceptive child, Sasha had asked at first where her mother went, and why she couldn't go, too. Her mother would just smile and tell her that children couldn't go where she was going. After a while, Sasha had given up asking.

As she grew older, Sasha began to notice that her mother would return home far too tired, and sometimes even battered, to have a normal sort of job. But she'd never asked many questions by then. Before long, Sasha was told she could start working with her. But now, looking back, she realized they actually worked "together" very rarely. Sasha went off on her own... and never really saw exactly what her mother did.

It was all she could think about the rest of the day and all through the night. The more she thought about it the more she questioned what her mother had done. The proof was clear as day; the pictures pretty much explained it all. But that didn't make it any easier to believe. To think that her mother had been this kind of person, had done these things, was not easy to accept. Every girl holds her mother in high esteem, overlooks faults in character because of love. And now the image Sasha had of her mother had been shattered.

When the morning finally came, Sasha was emotionally and physically exhausted. She hadn't slept at all, and she was starving. All she hoped for was that the one person she could even tolerate here would be the one who would come in to see how she was. A half an hour later, she got her wish.

Of course, he had the translator with him, but that was all right. The younger man always looked directly at her when he spoke, which helped a lot. As soon as he came in, he told her that someone would be coming to take her to get cleaned up, then there would be breakfast waiting. Sasha listened silently. Then, she had a question for him, for a change.

"If my mother did all those things, you must want to arrest her, right? So does that mean I'm in trouble too? I've never done things like... like you showed me in those pictures."

The man took a deep breath, and looked away for a moment. "Yes, we're trying to find your mother. And yes, you could potentially be in trouble for conspiring with her. You did break into our research center, after all."

Sasha swallowed nervously at that. The real danger of the situation she was in hadn't occurred to her until now. She sat there, suddenly growing fearful. She watched the man carefully, almost anxiously, hoping he would say something to ease her fears.

"On the other hand," he continued, finally looking back at her. "I realize you didn't know the full extent of what you were doing. Your mother manipulated you into doing things she claimed were for the good of your country, for the good of mankind. She's your mother; of course you believed her. But I think if you had known the truth, you might have chosen a different course of action, might have thought twice before getting involved in her evil schemes." He paused briefly. "However, that's a hard thing to prove in court."

Sasha lowered her head and whispered, "What am I supposed to do?"

"You have to tell me everything. I mean everything. I'm going to help you, but only if you are honest with me."

She looked up again, but her voice was still very soft. "All right. But you said I could have something to eat first. Things like that. Did you change your mind?"

"No, someone else is on their way to take you to get cleaned up. I'll be here when you get back."

Sasha only nodded, and waited in slience until the other person appeared. They went out and down the hall to a bathroom where Sasha was able to bathe very quickly, and was also given a change of clothes. She didn't know why they were being so nice to her, nor where the clothes they gave her could have come from, but she didn't ask.

As Vaughn sat waiting for the young woman to return, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," he said. There was no need to ask who it was, he could guess.
Another agent entered and sat down. "I waited to come in until I saw her leave. I don't think she's ready to see me yet. That won't be for a while, I suppose."

Vaughn looked down, not wanting to say this. "I think you're right. There is already so much she has to process. When I told her she was born here, she didn't even react. I... I don't think she remembers you."

"I didn't expect her to. It's not her fault. When she's ready, I'll come back to see her. I better go now, before she gets back."

Vaughn watched as the other agent left, and shook his head. This girl's life was so messed up, even more than she realized. The things her mother had done to her were wrong. Nobody should be forced to suffer like this. He hated to think how she might react if she ever found out the whole truth. Frankly, he didn't really want to be the one to tell her.

Sasha returned a few minutes later looking clean and refreshed. She maneuvered herself quite easily with the crutches, giving Vaughn the impression that she could be graceful and easy no matter what her physical limitations were.

She sat down across from him, put her crutches aside, and looked at him with a renewed sense of determination. "Where do I start?" she asked abruptly, her voice strong.

"From the beginning. As far back as you can remember," Vaughn instructed, pencil in hand, ready to record everything she said.

"Well, I'd have to say the very first thing I remember is being settled in my bed watching the snow out my window. It was very cold, but I was excited to see the first snow of the winter. Then my mother sang me to sleep. I never really wanted to close my eyes when she did that, because she always looked so pretty."

Sasha's expression was very far away, and she sounded wistful.
Vaughn sighed. He was going to hate having to do his job in this case. the last thing he wanted to do was cause anyone a lot of pain. Wanting to put that off as long as possible, he encouraged Sasha to keep talking. There were a few other sentimental memories of her family life, but soon the story turned toward what she and her mother did for a living. Vaughn had been right. She remembered nothing before she'd gone to live in Russia.

After talking for nearly two hours, Sasha said she was really very hungry. Soon enough, someone brought in lunch. She started to eat, but paused when she saw Agent Vaughn wasn't leaving.

"Is there something else you wanted me to say? Isn't it your mealtime too?"

"It is, but I just thought you might like someone to stay around. It gets too quiet around here."

Sasha was confused. This man was being far too nice to her. Noone here was actually treating her like a prisoner. It made no sense.

"All right. Stay if you want," she said, shaking her head and turning back to her meal.

Vaughn knew she didn't understand his motive. It was simple, though, When they got back to the questioning, things were going to get very difficult. The more he could keep her mind off that, and show her he wasn't out to hurt her, the better.

"So is this your job? Interrogating prisoners?" Sasha asked between mouthfuls of her fried chicken strips. She quickly decided that American food was pretty tasty.

"Well, it's one of the things I do," he hedged, not sure he wanted to go into further detail.

She nodded, a bit nonchalantly, and dropped the subject. "What are you going to do with me? I mean, how long am I going to stay here?"

"Well, I don't know yet. Once you've told me everything I need to know, then I give a report to Kendall, and he'll take care of the rest, decide what to do with you. I'm not exactly high up there on the list of important people."

She smiled at that, and then her expression slowly dissolved into one of great sadness. "You said I was born in America. Why was my mother living here?"

"Because she was married to an American. After a while, you came along. You lived here for the first six years of your life."

She looked up sharply. She hadn't gotten the sense, until now, that this man had told her a single lie.

"I did not. I'd remember something if I had! How could I forget six whole years?"

"Well, you didn't... not on purpose. From what we can tell, your mother made sure you forgot. She took you away from your country, then she made sure you stopped using your native language. But that wasn't all."

Sasha pushed her plate away. She wasn't hungry anymore. "What else could there be?"

Vaughn sighed, wanting to walk out of the room and not finish this conversation. He'd come this far, though. He couldn't go back now. He looked Sasha straight in the eye. "Your father," he said simply.

Sasha blinked, as if the words hadn't quite sunk in yet. "My father?" she asked hoarsely. "What about my father? Mom said he didn't want us to be his family anymore."

Vaughn shook his head sadly. He really didn't want to be the one to tell her this, but he knew he had to. "Your father wanted you, I'm sure he did. He's waiting to see you, when you're ready. He works for the CIA."

The room was deathly silent. Sasha's eyes grew wide, and she just stared at Vaughn, processing this information. "He works here?" she echoed, her voice thick with disbelief.

"Yes." Vaughn nodded in confirmation. "Your mother moved to Los Angeles over twenty years ago, where she met your father, got married, and had you. When you were six, she faked her death and yours, and took you back to Russia. Then she made sure you forget everything that happened."

Sasha didn't even know why she was listening to this. It made no sense; it went against everything she had grown up believing. And yet for some reason, she felt herself doubting her mother even more.

Vaughn could see the confusion and sadness in Sasha's eyes, and knew now was the time he should leave her to think. He decided to go find something to eat. He could make it back in ten to fifteen minutes. He knew he didn't have to worry about the young woman going anywhere.

He told her he'd be back soon, then asked the translator to leave with him. When they left, Sasha didn't cry, but she felt so completely confused that she had no idea what she should do next. She didn't even know if she wanted to go on talking to these people.

As she sat trying to gather her jumbled thoughts, the other man came back. She frowned at Kendall as he came in and sat down. All she could hope now was that he didn't know how to speak Russian.

"Well, Miss Derevko, it seems like you're trying to play innocent here," he began in fluent Russian. His accent was so good that Sasha wondered if maybe he was a secret Russian spy, too. "Crying to Agent Vaughn and pretending you are oblivious to your past and the extent of your mother's work isn't going to work. You aren't going to get away with this."

Sasha's temper instantly flared. "How dare you accuse me like that!? If I wanted to get away with this then I could come up with a million better ways than pretending to be clueless. You underestimate my abilities, and more importantly, my honesty."

"I hardly think that honesty can take one up the ladder to success in the world of espionage," Kendall countered, unfazed by her display of anger.

"What are you suggesting? That I'm somehow conspiring with my mother in acts of murder and terrorism?" Disbelief and frustration were written all over her face.

"Well, I wouldn't put it past you."

"You can't accuse me of this! You don't have any proof that I-"

"Not yet," he interrupted. "Not yet. But I will."

"You won't find anything. I've never killed anyone! Maybe there are some things I don't know about what my mother does, but I know what I've done! I've never killed anyone!"

"That may help you, but you are still a Russian spy, Ms. Derevko, and I have no tolerance for people like you. I don't care what your mother did to get you involved, or how much you do or don't know about her. You still work for her, and that makes you an enemy of this country, Agent Vaughn seems content to coddle you, but I'm not. I hate what you stand for. You are going to stay in this room until you've told me everything you know. Absolutely EVERYTHING!"

Sasha had no comeback for this. She wasn't angry anymore, she was worried. She began to wonder if she really would be here forever. And what else this man might do to her while she was here. Sasha sat down, refusing to talk anymore. She was too confused and nervous to know what else to say.

"Ms. Derevko," Kendall continued, his voice thick with impatience. "You better start talking, or else I'll-"

"Threats will not work with me," Sasha cut him off rudely, though it was clear her resolution was starting to break away. "I don't have to talk to you. You can't make me."

Kendall frowned at her, his eyes blazing fiercely. "You won't get away with this," he said coldly. "You won't." He leveled his gaze at Sasha for a minute, and then strode out of the room.

Vaughn returned from his lunch break only to find that Kendall had gone in to speak to Sasha. He hated to think what Kendall was telling her, but he knew better than to interrupt. Instead he occupied himself standing by the door her room, where he could hear most of the conversation, and knew it wasn't going well.

He began to pace the hallway, trying to figure out exactly how he was going to tell Kendall that his approach with Sasha wasn't working. Vaughn was perceptive in a way that Kendall wasn't. He understood that the only way to get Sasha to talk was to tell her that he was on her side and wanted to help.

She might be tough and sassy, but underneath all that show was a vulnerable woman who needed reassurance. And unless she got that, she wasn't going to talk, much less cooperate.

A few minutes later Kendall exited the room, a clearly disgusted look on his face. He glared at Vaughn as he passed, and then suddenly stopped and turned back towards him. "You stay out of that room for the rest of the day. She needs to do some thinking."

"Sir, I don't think you should--"

"Did I ask for your opinion?" Kendall interrupted impatiently.

Vaughn clenched his teeth together and took a step toward his opponent. "You might be smart, and successful, and well-respected by your peers, and capable of leading this department better than most," he began firmly, "but one thing you don't know anything about is how to communicate with people, and if you keep treating Sasha like you are now, she is never going to trust us."

"I suppose you think I should baby her, then. Like you are. I'm sorry, Agent Vaughn, but we cannot take forever finding out what that young woman knows! Her mother could be planning all sorts of things. Time may be of the essence here. Am I making myself clear?"

Vaughn frowed, but nodded. "I''ll do the best I can. If you still want her to have some time alone, fine. But I'm at least going to let her know I'm here. I told her I'd be right back."

Kendall sighed. "All right, five minutes. Then leave her to think for a few hours. When you come back, we can hope she'll be more coopreative."

Vaughn nodded, then went into the room. He'd known Sasha would be upset, but she was trying very hard to hide it. Her expression only softened when Vaughn sat down near her at the table. Her eyes told him everything he needed to know; she didn't have to say anything.Though she wouldn't understand the words, Vaughn told her he was sorry for what had happened. He wanted to do something more to help, but had no idea what that might be. As he stood up to leave, she only watched him. She seemed to sense he wasn't coming back soon. Once the door was closed, and she was alone with her thoughts, Sasha began to wish for the first time that she could get out of this place.

I have to get out of here, Sasha thought. She was finding out things about her life that she should have learned years ago- and not from some stranger- but the person who had been lying to her all along, her mother. She was beginning to see who Irina Derevko really was, but between the beginning and where she should be- and where she would end up- was a long road with twists, turns, and unknown dangers lurking everywhere. She could only hope she would get there safely.

So many questions were running through her brain. Questions she should never have had to think about. Why did she do all that? Why was she hiding it from me? Can I trust what I am being told? Who is my father? Will I ever know him? Is anything ever going to seem okay again? Too many questions were being left un-answered. Too many things she didn't know about herself- the person she thought she knew the best in the world was turning out to be a complete stranger. She was only a character in her mother's game, a simple pawn, laid out first to be swiftly crushed. Did she ever really love me? Did my father?

Her desperation mounted as she realized the longer she stayed, the more lies would be revealed. That scared her more than anything, and she determination to escape became stronger than ever.

She laid down on her bed, and curled up into a tight ball. Someone observing would mistake her for a weaker person who needed help desperately. But Sasha did not need--or want-- their pity or help. She had formatted a plan of escape. She would be unstoppable-- the plan was perfect. However, being blinded by her powerful drive and need, she missed one obvious flaw.

Vaughn's POV

I looked through the two-way mirror to check on Sasha. No one else was going to watch out for her, someone needed to he had decided. I could just imagine what Kendall's response to my statement would be

"Agent Vaughn, she is an enemy of the United States! A prisoner! You are getting too emotionally attached to our enemy. I'm pulling you off this case."

I sighed, probably a little too loudly. This was a huge mess. How could anyone not be sympathetic to that poor girl? She had just found out things about her life that she should have known. We both have been in the situation where we had unbelievable truths revealed to us. Neither of us had stumbled onto the truth until we were adults, finally ridding us of the lies told to us as children. Our fathers were alive- and they were not what we thought they were.

Looking at that poor, broken woman through the window, curled up in a tight ball, I realized we had more in common than any two people I know of. A terrible thing that should never be true about anyone.

Sasha POV

I had been sitting still long enough. It was time for my plan to begin. Being caught was not an option. I had to escape. It was now or never. I stood up and walked over to the mirror, where I knew I was being watched. "Bathroom?" I questioned loud enough so I knew I was heard. There was a bathroom connected to my room, but the door was kept locked. I heard a buzz, and the door was unlocked. I nodded to the mirror with pretended gratitude, walked across the room, into the bathroom, and shut the door. There was no way for me to lock it, but I knew they would give me courtesy and leave me alone because I had been quite cooperative and answered most of their questions.

A swift scan of the room gave me what I needed to carry out my plan. There was another door, but of course, it was locked- but I didn't need it, in fact, I rarely used doors. I walked over to the one small window and looked out. There were bars across it, but I had anticipated that, and was ready for them. I was about fifteen feet up- I could handle that drop, in fact I had jumped from higher without equipment before. I needed something to get the bars off the window. I looked around and found what I was looking for: the plastic knobs off the sink. I pulled them off and used them to unscrew the bolts on the bars. I didn't need all the bars off- only four or five, because I didn't have the time to take them all off. I removed the bars, placed them in the sink and put the knobs back on the faucet. I climbed onto the sink and pulled myself up to the window.

I almost had both feet out before I heard it. The sound of a gun cocking and felt the muzzle pressed onto my back. I had been caught again, and, even with all my spy antics, I never even saw it coming.

Vaughn's POV

I could tell my gun had surprised her, heck, my catching her probably shocked her. I didn't want to use my gun, but it was the only way she would take me seriously and to make her stop preparing to take that ridiculously high jump to what she saw as freedom.

"Come back inside, Sasha."

Although I knew she couldn't understand my words, my gun placed against her back and my hand placed on her arm spoke enough.

She started backing up, so I pulled the gun back and watched her hop down from the window rather gracefully- with her leg injury and all, which I found amazing. Nevertheless, for as much as she was trained, and no matter how skilled she was, her intuition failed her this time.

"I know you can't understand what I'm saying--"

"What makes you think that?"

Her reply-- in English, no less-- shocked me. The look on my face must have shown that to her, also.

"You look surprised, Agent Vaughn. Did the CIA give you a training course before you started active duty?" she waited for my nod, and then continued, "As did my mother's agency train me. A spy needs to be able to listen. How can I listen if I don't understand the language of the country that I'm in?"

"So all this time, you've been lying to me?"

"No, everything I've told you is true. I just chose to use and acknowledge my native language only."

"Sasha, Russian is not your native language."

"So you've said. Agent Vaughn, you are repeating yourself, but you aren't offering me any proof."

"You want proof? I'll go get your proof," I angrily told her. I was getting fed up with her game- but what had I expected?

"Come on," I told her after I put my gun back in it's holster, gently took her arm and lead her back to her "room".

"I'll be back with your proof, Sasha," I told her and left to find the one man who could help me.

Sasha's POV

I had been caught. I could only hope Agent Vaughn wouldn't bring back Kendall with whatever "proof" he could find. I felt so stupid. My intuition as a spy had failed me and I revealed one of my secrets to the enemy. I was failing my mother and I felt guilty for it. I was betraying the woman who had lied to me, and I felt guilty. Where was the justice in that?

I heard footsteps outside the door, so I turned away from it. I didn't feel like an interrogation right now. Kendall could just leave me alone; he wasn't going to learn anything from me. Then I heard his voice.

"Sasha, I'm back," Michael Vaughn said.

I whirled around to find that the two of us weren't alone. He had brought a man with him that I had never seen before. He was fifty-something with graying hair and he looked a little intimidating, but at least it wasn't Kendall- I swear that man is from the devil himself.

"Sasha, this is Agent Jack Bristow. He is going to explain to you why he is here as well as show you your proof. Do you want me to stay?"

I nodded my head at him, and then turned to Bristow. "Where is my proof, Agent Bristow?"

He looked pained for some reason when I said that, but replied, "My story, as well as what I know about yours is all the proof I need".

"My story? What can you possibly know about me?" I asked as I gave a quick glance at Vaughn who looked nervous and concerned.

Jack Bristow took a deep breath and handed me a document. "Your name is Sydney Anne Bristow. You were born on April 17th, 1974. Sydney, I am your father."

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 2</span>

Sasha moved silently over to the table and sat down, shaking her head. In her anger, she reverted to speaking Russian. "Even if you are my father, why should I believe anything you tell me? My mother said you didn't want us anymore, that's why she took me with her!"

Jack frowned, even though Agent Vaughn had warned him Sydney thought he'd never wanted her. He hadn't expected this to be easy, though, and he wasn't leaving until Sydney understood. Jack had not seen his daughter in fourteen years. He wasn't going to lose her again.

Jack took a seat, and Vaughn did the same. "Sydney, your mother lied to you about that, just like she's lied about so many other things," Jack began.

Sydney looked up, daggers flying from her stormy eyes. "That's not my name," she whispered fiercely. These people had tried to take away everything she'd known, she was determined not to let them take her name as well.

Jack sighed. "All right, Sasha. I brought your birth certificate because I knew you wouldn't believe me. I have more things to show you." Calmly, Jack reached into an inside pocket of his jacket and brought out several pictures, placing them one by one on the table.

Before Jack could say anything else, his daughter reached out and swept everything off the table. Jack looked angry, but said nothing. Seeing Sasha's expression, Vaughn spoke for the first time since they had all sat down.

"I know this is all frightening to you, and you're angry. But just let him talk a little longer, all right? He's not here to hurt you, I promise."

Sydney looked very doubtful, but nodded and turned to face Jack again. He'd picked up the photographs from the floor, and now placed them in front of his daughter again. The first one was a baby picture, then in each of the others, Sydney got progressively older. At the last one, she stopped, a shadow passing over her features.

"Mom has one just like this, at... at home. If you are my father, and you didn't want me in the first place, why would you keep these for so long?"

Jack was pained at seeing so much confusion in his daughter's eyes, but at least she was talking to him, in English no less.

"I am your father. I have these pictures because I did want you, and I've missed you very much. You won't believe that now, I know. But I hope someday you will."

"If you missed me, why didn't you try to find me? After Mom took me with her to Russia, I never heard from you again, until now. Not once. If you are my father, where WERE you??"

Sydney was so angry she was shaking. Almost without realizing she'd done it, she reached out and took Vaughn's hand. He was surprised, but decided anything that would make this situation easier was a good thing.

Jack caught himself, almost calling his daughter by the name she refused to acknowledge. "Sasha, I sent you letters every year on your birthday and Christmas, as soon as I knew where you were. Very long letters. In hindsight, I probably should have come and brought you back, but the people your mother had working for her wouldn't have allowed it. I'd have been no good to you at all if I was dead. So I waited, hoping by some strange stroke of luck that you'd see those letters."

"I never saw any..." Sydney paused, her eyes growing wide. Vaughn gripped her hand more tightly, feeling concerned now. "Sasha," he said softly. "What's the matter?"

"Mom always built a huge fire on the fireplace on my birthday. By April we rarely lit one anymore, but always on my birthday she would. I asked her about it at first. She'd always tell me it was an extra treat for my birthday, because I loved sitting in front of the fire. Once, when I was twelve, I saw her throw something into it when she didn't think I was looking. I asked her what it was, and she said... she said it was something that was none of my business. I think it must have been your letter... Dad."

Vaughn POV

The look in Jack's eyes softened considerably when Sydney- although hesitantly- called him dad. It seemed as if we were making progress. By the hand that was tightly grasping mine, I could tell I had earned her trust. She needs someone she can trust, but as much as it makes sense that she trusts me, she needs to learn to trust Jack, too. That would, understandably, take time, but before I received any more intel- if any- from her, I wanted her to be able to trust Jack. This girl was special, any fool could see that, but she wasn't going to be used by Kendall, the CIA or even me like she was used by her mother. I had to let her know that she would never be used again. I had to protect her.

I asked myself why, but I couldn't come up with an answer that would keep me from getting in trouble by someone, except that she simply needs protecting. That answer would probably get me in trouble, too.

Sydney POV

Calling Jack Bristow, "dad", had been difficult. But something in my heart told me he wasn't lying to me. Plus, what would he gain by lying? All the pictures he had of me, and my birth certificate- the only people that would have them would be my parents. Mom had all those pictures and my birth certificate- so did this man, but my name was different. Mom had fabricated a name- and my life- told me lies, hid things from me, and she always had the same look in her eyes. Something I should have noticed and recognized a long time ago. A glint of hatred when I asked questions about dad. Now I know why. Sometimes I would see that look when she looked at me, then she would have a look like she made a big mistake, and was sorry, would be sorry for the rest of her life. I know what that is now. I am a reminder, a remnant of her one mistake- a small moment of love. That love turned quickly to hatred. Does she hate me as much as she hated him? Is that why she lied to me?

The new revelation makes me sick. Mom lied about everything. She didn't even tell me my real name. Sasha Katarina Derevko is really Sydney Anne Bristow. If that didn't confuse anyone, what would? I let go of Michael's hand, stood, and walked over to my bed. I laid down and curled myself into a tight ball. I could feel the tears making streams down my face.

"Sasha?" Michael quietly questioned. I could hear him walking over to me.

I turned over and looked up at him. "That's not really my name, is it?" I looked over to the older man, and watched him shake his head. I could see tears shining in his eyes. How dare Irina Derevko think she has the right to make everyone's life part of her game and ruin so many lives.

"Could you just go? I really need to think, " I asked them. I looked at Michael and watched him nod in agreement at me. Then he turned to the other man- my father.

"Come on, Jack. Let her process all this for a while. We'll be back," he told me.

So they left me alone with my thoughts and tears. They weren't very good company and once again, I felt utterly alone.

Jack's POV

"Agent Vaughn, that is my daughter in there."

"Yes, sir, I know."

"But she doesn't trust me. It's obvious that she trusts you." That hurt me to say. The thought that my daughter- my only child- would trust a total stranger before she trusts me hurts more than anyone could know. Although she did once know me, I'm a total stranger now, too. The Jack Bristow that everyone knows cannot show his emotions. Emotions that would make me a weaker person. That person has strength that is coveted and revered by many agents. Strength and resolve that is hard to maintain when you are on the verge of tears, and your only child cannot remember any of the memories you have of her.

"Agent Vaughn, I need you to take advantage of that. Help her realize her priorities. If she cooperates she will be treated better. We need the information she possesses to help us take Irina Derevko down. She will be a vital asset in that."

"Why don't you talk to her? The more you are with her, the more she will trust you. You- and only you- can help her remember her lost years. She needs you. She needs her father to help her, not anyone else."

He was right. Giving up was not an option here. I knew what I had to do. My only problem was formulating my plan to regain my daughter's trust.

: : : FLASHBACK: : :

"Daddy! Daddy! You're finally home!" Sydney yelled as Jack came through the door. He had just enough time to set his briefcase down before she leaped on him. "Take me for a ride, Daddy, please?"

"All right," he said with a smile. "Let me go get changed and you go get your jacket and tell mom that we're going to the carousel."

"Okay!" she said with great delight as she rushed off to her room, her joy showing with every bouncing step she took.

Jack smiled and headed from the kitchen, where by the wonderful aroma wafting through the house, he knew Laura would be.

"Hey honey, " he said as he gave her a swift kiss. "Sydney and I are going to the carousel."

"That's fine. Make sure you are back in an hour or so for dinner. Have fun."

"All right. Love you."

"Hmmmm."

So he went and changed and by time he came back out to the living room, Sydney was already waiting. "Mommy said we can go. She told me to make sure you stay out of trouble," she giggled. "But you are going to be very good tonight, aren't you, Daddy?" she said more than asked with a tone that made her sound much older then her six years.

"I'll be very good, I promise."

So they took each other's hand and walked out to the car together, determined to enjoy this precious time that they knew would be wonderful.
: : :END FLASHBACK: : :

I sighed. I wished everything was back the way it had been, before everything became complicated and I lost the most important things in my life. A loving, adoring wife and a beloved, trusting daughter.

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 3</span>

Sydney fell asleep sometime after being left alone. It was the first time she'd slept since being brought in for questioning. Though she didn't know it, Vaughn watched her from the other side of the one way mirror. Someone was required to be there at all hours, and Vaughn stayed as long as possible, knowing he was the only one Sydney would trust. As he sat there now, Agent Kendall approached the door to the room. Vaughn got up and intercepted him.

"I'm sorry, sir. She's asleep right now, for the first time in over forty-eight hours."

Kendall sighed. "The last thing I care about is if that girl is rested or not. I will wait, but not because of you. It's her father I don't want to deal with. Send someone to get me when she wakes up." Without so much as a good-bye, Kendall stalked away.

Vaughn sat down again to continue his vigil. After a while, he saw Sydney begin to toss and turn in her sleep. He supposed she must be dreaming, and he couldn't help wondering what it might be about.

"Come on, Sydney. It's time for bed."

"Already, Daddy? You're leaving so early. I want to stay up with you."

"It's already nine o'clock. You'll never get up for school if you don't get to bed soon."

She stood there looking at him, wanting to cry and refusing to head off to her room. Finally, her father picked her up and carried her to it. As he moved to put her down in her bed, she wrapped her arms round his neck as tightly as she could.

"I don't want to let go yet, Daddy. You'll be gone when I get up. Do you promise you'll be back soon?"

"As soon as I can, I promise." At last he was able to put her down in the bed. Once he'd tucked her in, she hugged him again.

"I love you, Daddy. I'll miss you, a lot."

"I love you, too. I'll miss you very much, Sydney. Good night." He kissed her forehead, got up from the bed, and left the room.

Sometime later, still wide awake, Sydney got out of bed and snuck back down to the kitchen. The door was mostly closed, but she was able to peek inside. Her mommy was in there alone, talking to someone on the phone. Her expression was what Sydney always thought of as her angry face. Someone must have called with bad news. She listened for awhile, but understood very little of what was said. After a few minutes, her mommy put the phone down and opened the kitchen door.

"Sydney, this is grown-up talk. Go on back to bed now."

Sydney looked into her mother's eyes and still saw the anger there, this time directed at her. "Yes, Mommy," she said timidly, and went slowly back up to bed.

The next day, Sydney was awakened before it was even time to get ready for school. She heard her mommy doing something in her bedroom and got up to investigate. There she found her packing a small suitcase.

"Good morning, Mommy. Are you going somewhere?"

"We both are. This suitcase is for you. Go get dressed now, we have to leave soon."

"Where are we going? What about Daddy? Can he come with us?"

"No. We need to go away for a while. Maybe soon we can come back."

"Maybe? I don't want to leave Daddy! I want to stay here!"

Her mother whirled around, her eyes blazing. "Sydney, do as I say. Go to your room and get ready. Now. As soon as you're ready, we're leaving."

Sydney did as she was told, crying the whole time. After she was dressed, she quickly drew her daddy a picture and left it on her bed. She hoped he would find it and keep it until she was able to come back home. As she was getting ready to go downstairs, she remembered something she wanted to take. She went back to her room, took the photo album off the shelf, and removed a picture of herself and her father together. Placing it carefully in her pocket, Sydney went downstairs. Less than ten minutes later, she was out in the car with her mother. She kept calling her by a strange name. She didn't understand any of this. All Sydney could do was cry, calling for her daddy over and over again.

Sydney finally woke up then. She was disoriented for a moment, having no idea where she was. Before she could stop herself, she was calling out loudly for her father, something she hadn't done in many years.

Behind the mirror, Vaughn saw Sydney wake up, and used his cell phone to reach Jack, who he hoped was still downstairs working. Thankfully, Jack answered immediately. Vaughn asked him to come upstairs as quickly as possible. He arrived in less than five minutes, entering the room Sydney was being held in without asking any questions.

Sydney had quieted now, but was still crying just a bit. She looked up when her father entered. He came over and sat down next to her on the bed, but not too close. He didn't want to crowd her and risk that she might not talk to him.

"What were you dreaming about, Sydney?" He asked quietly.

"That day.... the day Mom took me away. I told her I didn't want to go, that you should come with us, but she said no. The night before, after you'd tucked me in, I couldn't sleep. So I went downstairs. I overheard her talking on the phone. She saw me and told me to go back to bed. She looked so angry. The next day when I got up, she was packing to leave. It must have been all my fault. If I hadn't been so nosy, she wouldn't...." The rest of the sentence was lost in tears.

"Sydney, it was not your fault. She shouldn't have done that, even if you had overheard something. You were only six years old. I don't know what she thought you would do with any information you might have heard, or if you even understood it in the first place!"

"Maybe... maybe she thought I'd tell you. I could tell even then that she was trying to get me away from you. I asked her if we'd get to come back and see you. All she said was maybe. I could tell she was lying. I was glad that at least I was able to draw one last picture for you. I don't know if you ever saw it, though."

"I'm so sorry for everything that happened. If I'd been home, I would have stopped it. But I wasn't. When I did get back, you were gone. Your mother left all of her clothes in the closet, only some of yours were missing. That didn't make sense to me until later, after the..."

Jack stopped himself mid-sentence, knowing Sydney didn't need to hear all that now. She was upset enough. It could wait until another day. In that moment, she reached out and rested her hand on his shoulder, wiping away the last of her tears with the other.

"Dad, did you miss me, after we left? I know you didn't get to see me very much, but..."

"Sydney, of course I missed you. At first I tried to convince myself that one day I'd come home and you'd both be there, like nothing ever happened. After a while I came to accept that I'd probably never see you again. Not that it was easy. I just had to sell the house, it was too difficult for me to keep going back there. I waited almost two years before I did that... just in case."

"Dad, if I ever get to leave this place, maybe you can show me where you live now. If you want to. I think I'd like that."

"So would I." He smiled just a little bit, took her hand and squeezed it. "Do you think you can go back to sleep now? I can come back and see you later."

"I think I can. I'll talk to you later, then." She let go of his hand, rather reluctantly, and laid down again. Jack left the room, quietly closing the door. Once outside, he spoke to Vaughn.

"I have to go home and get something, I'll be back as soon as I can. If she wakes up before I get back, please try to get her to give Kendall as complete a statement as possible. There's a better chance she'll listen to you. There's no hope of her getting out of here until she gives Kendall what he wants."

Vaughn nodded, promising to try his best. He watched as Jack walked away, then looked back in on the sleeping Sydney. He couldn't imagine having to make up for almost fifteen lost years with anyone. All he knew was that he was glad father and daughter had at least made a start.

Sydney's POV

After Dad left, I felt a little better. Sleep brought memories that had been forgotten for years. Some things that I did not want to remember, while others would be welcome. Anything that would help give me something to hold onto and help me find proof I needed. Proof to turn my mother in, and proof to give me enough to know it is safe to trust my father. After fourteen years, he is back in my life, protecting me from my greatest adversary, but could I really trust him? I couldn't think rationally right now. There were too many emotions running through my head. Add all of those emotions to approximately two hours of sleep in two days- that doesn't exactly give you a clear head. So I pulled one of my two pillows out from under my head and hugged it, wishing I had someone to hold instead of just a pillow. With my lonely thoughts, I fell back into a fitful sleep.

"Mommy, I'm going somewhere with Daddy. He told me to tell you- just so that you would know I guess."

"Okay, sweetie. Just make sure you watch him. Make sure he behaves."

"But Mommy, Daddy is a good guy… he would never do something bad! That's just silly!" Sydney replied with a smile.

"Sometimes things aren't what they seem," Laura said under her breath.

"What does that mean, Mommy?"

"Nothing, sweetheart. Go have fun with Daddy. I think he has a trip coming up and you might not see him again for awhile."

"Okay. Bye, Mommy!" Sydney ran to her mother and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

She ran out to the living room and sat on the couch, waiting for her father to come out of his room to get her. When he did come, she informed him he had to be good, because "Mommy said so". They walked out of the house, hand in hand, with huge smiles on their faces, eagerly waiting the time set out before them.

However, the dream wasn’t happy for long.

"Mommy, where are we going? Mommy, where is Daddy? I want Daddy!" screamed the crying little girl, who was seated in the backseat of a fast moving car.

"Daddy can't come with us, Sasha. Stop crying. Everything will be okay."

"Who is Sasha, Mommy?"

"You are, of course, darling."

"NO! My name is Sydney! What is going on? I want Daddy," she wailed.

"Calm down, Sasha. Do you want a drink?"

"NO! I want Daddy!"

"Here, honey," she handed the sobbing little girl a glass. Taking deep, shuddering breaths, the girl took a drink. Her breathing started to become even. The woman looked into her rearview mirror at her daughter, who was hiccupping, even in her deep, drug induced sleep.

Vaughn's POV

As I watched Sydney squeeze her pillow tighter and begin to toss and turn, I knew that her dreams were not peaceful. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard her shout something in Russian. I didn't understand what she said, but by her tone, I knew it couldn't be good.

She suddenly sat up, gasping and sobbing. She kept repeating the same thing repeatedly, but I had no clue what she was saying. I picked up my cell phone and dialed a number.

"This is Agent Michael Vaughn. I'm currently at Sydney Bristow's holding cell. I need that Russian translator up here ASAP!"

By the time that translator had arrived, she had stopped repeating herself. I had the agents that were monitoring Sydney rewind the audiotapes that recorded all conversations in the room. The translator relayed what she had said back to me.

"Agent Vaughn, I'm surprised you didn't get the gist of what she was saying," he said with a smart aleck smirk.

"You could wipe that look off your face, change your tone, and tell me now, or be de-ranked later. Your choice."

"Um," the agent cleared his throat. "She was asking for you, sir."

"What was she saying?"

"Something along the lines of, 'Michael? I need you, where are you?' I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the fact that she used your name repeatedly."

"Well, she was a little hysterical and I know no Russian at all. You can go now." I dismissed him as I walked to the door connected to Sydney's room.

She had lain back down, but was shaking and I could tell she was still crying. I heard her take deep shuddering breaths. She seemed like such a strong person and seeing her cry like this broke my heart.

"Sydney? What's wrong?"

"Michael?" came the weak response. She turned over and faced me. My heart broke again and what was left of it went out to her. I walked over to her bed and sat down beside her. She sat up, and laid her head on my shoulder. I knew that I could get into major trouble for this- but I simply did not care. She desperately needed someone to just reach out to her, and if I could be that person, I would be, gladly.

Sydney's POV

Having someone-especially him- there beside me was a simple reminder that I was a person. I wasn't just some toy that was being played by every single person that I met, although at times I felt like that. There were only two people who were an exception to that- the man who claimed to be my father,(which I believed, because unless he was a brilliant actor, better than any I've ever seen before, his actions and emotions toward me were amazingly sincere), and this man that sat beside me. The first person who showed me kindness here, the first person whom I felt I could actually trust. Just having someone beside me helped. I took a few deep breaths, regained control of my tears, and sat up straight.

"Thank you," I told him.

"For what?"

"For... helping me be real. For not letting me jump. For not shooting," I smiled weakly.

"I wasn't going to shoot you."

"I know, but not until I had thought about it for awhile. At the time I was simply scared stiff."

"I noticed," he told me with a smile that quickly faded. "What were you dreaming about?"

"My dad. He was taking me somewhere. I just can't remember where."

"Is that why you were crying?"

"No," I told him as I lowered my head. "I don't want to talk about it right now." Being that vulnerable in front of a complete stranger was not something I wanted to make a habit of.

"I understand. I do have one thing to tell you, though."

"What?" I cautiously asked. His tone gave me the feeling that what he was going to say would not make me the happiest girl alive.

"Kendall wants to talk with you," I started to open my mouth to reply, but he silenced me with his eyes. "Your father and I both think that it's a good idea. If you talk to him and give him the information he wants, you have a better chance of getting out of here- and sooner. Can you do that?" His eyes were pleading with me to say yes. I didn't understand why- or how- he cared so much.

"I'll try-- No, I will do this," I said with fierce determination. If only I felt that way on the inside.

Michael nodded, and then left me with my thoughts. Running through what I really knew and what I was going to actually tell that monster was hard. It left me scared again, questioning how much of what I had remembered was real.

I thinK I would have broken it up a couple of more times. It was long, long. I learned that from reading my first post.

You have a very nice style and are a good wordsmith. I personally would tighten the story so it wasn't as drawn out.

There needs to be more action. The first part was really good with dogs, cops gunshot and then trying to get out of the bathroom...good visual there.

Isn't writing about the Bristows fun??

Oh yeah, definantly. My favorite is writing Irina. She's not here at this point of the story, but it gets fun later.

I'm writing this woth my friend, Angel, and we have um...9 chapters done at the moment. I just don't want to post them all at once...it would be too long.

I should be putting a new chapter up on Monday, I just wish there were more posts.

A/N ok, just for Kristi, and everyone else who's been so swank and read this, here's the next chapter :smiley: enjoy!

Chapter 4
Sydney sat waiting for Agent Kendall to come in and begin the questioning. She was dreading having to talk to him again, but Vaughn had promised to stay there with her. So she could only hope things would be all right.

Vaughn and Kendall entered a moment or two later, followed closely by Jack. Sydney was surprised to see him, but glad. Any help to get through this difficult meeting was welcome. Jack looked his daughter in the eye as he entered, and he was rewarded with a small smile from her.

All three men took seats around the table, and Kendall wasted no time in beginning his questioning. Sydney glared at him with the very first words he spoke.

"I have what I think is only a partial list of the people who work for your mother. I want you to give me the names of everyone you know to be involved in her work. Things will be easier for you if you cooperate."

For a short while, Sydney refused to say anything. She didn't intend to give in easily to this overbearing, unpleasant man. Kendall repeated his question, and still, Sydney did not answer. Kendall turned to Jack now.

"I thought you said she was ready to talk. I didn't come here to play games and waste precious time, Jack."

"I know that." Jack had to struggle to keep the irritation out of his tone. Then, he turned to his daughter.

"Sydney, I know this is difficult for you. If you want to get out of here, you have to tell Agent Kendall what he wants to know. Once we're finished, you can come home with me like we talked about. I promise."

Sydney looked over at Vaughn, who nodded firmly. "Go ahead and talk. It will be all right. We'll both stay here with you until this is finished."

After another moment's hesitation, Sydney gave Kendall the names of everyone she knew in her mother's organization. Kendall just listened, nodding occasionally. He didn't bother taking notes, since everything was being recorded.

From there, they moved on to discussing any upcoming operations Sydney knew about. She answered him slowly, glaring at Kendall fiercely throughout the entire exchange. By the time this part of the questioning was finished, nearly two hours had passed. Sydney was growing tired and extremely impatient.

"When can I get out of here? I've had enough of this."

"You'll leave here when I say you can, Ms. Derevko." Kendall pronounced her last name slowly, deliberately. "Your loyalties have been misplaced all these years, you aren't going to get out of this after only two hours of questions. Your father and Agent Vaughn seem willing-- too willing-- to forgive you for everything. I'm not, Ms. Derevko. I'm in charge here, I'll ask you questions for as long as I want."

Now it was Jack's turn to glare at him. "Agent Kendall, I'd appreciate it if you would get on with the questions. The sooner you stop harassing my daughter, the happier I'll be." He paused for emphasis, staring the man down. "In case you've forgotten, Sydney's last name is Bristow, just like mine. I suggest you use it the next time you address her that way."

Kendall's expression as he replied was just as icy as the one Jack had sent his way. "Of course, I will." His voice dripped with contempt. Normally, he avoided getting on Jack Bristow's bad side. But he had tiptoed around the man long enough. The games were over, starting today.

Kendall then continued with the questions, wanting to get things over with.

"What I most want to know is your mother's exact location. It's very important that I get the chance to question her directly."

"I don't know where she is," Sydney answered, meeting his challenging expression with on of her own.

"You at least know where her base of operations is, don't you? Ms. Derevko, either you tell me, or it will be a very long time before you get out of here."

Sydney made no answer, causing both Vaughn and her father to look at her expectantly. She'd made it clear she wanted out of here, and answering the questions was the only way to get her wish. However, when they looked at her, both men realized her mind had wandered elsewhere. She didn't answer even when they took turns calling her name.

Sydney had spent the last few weeks feeling very confused. Her mommy still insisted on calling her by that strange new name. Just this week the lessons had begun. Lessons from books that were in a language Sydney couldn't understand. All she knew was she wanted to go home, where she was allowed to speak English. Most of all, she wanted to see her Daddy.

Her Mommy was trying to give her one of the lessons right now. All Sydney could do was cry and say over and over, "Mommy, I don't like this! Can we stop now? What are we doing this for!?"

At last, her mother gave up trying to continue the lesson. She closed the book she held, placing it on the table. "We're doing this because I want you to learn the language everyone else here already knows. You need to learn, so you can talk to everybody. You want to be able to talk to me, don't you?"

Sydney was utterly confused. "Mommy, you're speaking English right now. I can still talk to you."

"Right now you can. But soon I won't speak any English to you at all. If you still want to be able to talk to me, you must learn this. I know you don't like it. But you're smart, Sasha. You'll learn very fast, I know you will."

Sydney began to cry harder. "I won't! I don't want to! Sasha isn't even my name. My name is Sydney!"

Without realizing it, Sydney had taken her father's hand and was now holding onto it for dear life. Everyone in the room was surprised when she suddenly shouted in Russian. Then, she seemed to come out of her daze. Kendall understood her words, but not what had prompted them. Jack both understood them and realized that his daughter had remembered something. He was about to ask if they could take a break when Kendall literally brought his fists down on the table in front of Sydney. She flinched, and reached for Vaughn's hand as well.

"Ms. Derevko, I'm not going to allow you to play these kinds of games with me. Either you tell me what I want to know right now, or you will not be getting out of here! Now, I'll ask you one more time. Where is your mother's base of operations?"

Jack reluctantly released his daughter's hand and stood up, moving protectively in front of her. "Kendall, she needs a break! I want you to stop, just for a while. She's been remembering things... things that have been buried for a very long time. I know you don't care about that, or about her, but I do. I want you to stop," he repeated, challenging Kendall with his eyes.

Kendall stood, meeting Jack's challenge. "Jack, you can't really believe this girl is so innocent! She's worked for that woman since she was sixteen years old! She must know more. Things that can help us. I've waited long enough, I am finishing this line of questioning right now."

"Sit down, and listen," Jack growled back at him. "'This girl', as you've so eloquently called her, is my daughter. MINE. I've been separated from her for fourteen years. This is the first chance I've had to act like a father after all these years. I will not sit by and let you frighten my child, do you understand? If you bring your hands that close to her ever again, I'll take care of you myself. Under normal circumstances, she would be a threat to you herself, I don't doubt that. But look at her. With the state she's in right now, I can't believe she could hurt anyone. Now, she needs to get out of here and take a break. With or without your permission, we're going."

Kendall completely lost his temper and began to shout. Before long, Jack was shouting right back at him. This went on for just a moment or two, when Jack heard Vaughn's voice from behind him.

"Sydney needs to get out of here, now. She can't deal with all this arguing, sir."

Jack turned around, and saw that Sydney was practically covering her ears to keep out the sound of the fighting. In Russian, he apologized for shouting, and told her that they were going to go out in the hall for a while. He nearly had to help her up from the chair, she was so disoriented. Then, they were on their way out the door. Jack could feel Kendall's eyes on him, and was sure he was glaring at all three of them as they walked out.

Sydney's POV

I can remember not knowing what was happening and how much my mother had changed toward me. Forcing me to go by a new name, speak a new language, and change my entire lifestyle. As young as I was, I could only resist for a while before I started caving in, giving in to her requests, and forgetting everything I once knew, although I doubt I did that on my own. All those memories were coming back to me now and were leaving me emotionally and mentally confused. What was real? All I knew was that this pretending had to stop.

"No, no, Mother, you cannot make me keep doing this! I won't!" I shouted, without thinking about it, in Russian.

The next thing I really noticed was a fist violently slam down on the table directly in front of my face. I jumped a little and reached with my free hand to Michael, who swiftly and tightly grasped mine. Then I heard shouting. There was a battle raging all around me and I could not focus on it, nor could I block it out completely.

Without realizing it, I had slipped my hand out of Michael's grasp, and was covering my ears. Trying to escape the noise, but to no avail.

Then came Michael's quiet pleading and my father's apology in Russian and he told me we were leaving. I tried to stand but that made me dizzy and required help from dad. As the three of us walked past Kendall, the look he was giving my father scared me, but he was ignored and we went out into the hall.

I could hear a conversation being carried on around me, but I did not understand a single word that was spoken. I leaned against the wall and sunk down to the floor. Putting my hands over my ears and resting my head on my knees, I wished that everything would just go away.

Vaughn's POV

After Jack and Kendall's showdown, Sydney, Jack and I went into the hallway outside of Sydney's holding cell. I wasn't sure what Jack's intentions were until he pulled out his phone and made a swift call. He knew what he wanted and what he was going to do. All I heard was a one- sided conversation, but he made things quite clear.

"It's me. Jack…. Yes… Kendall was unable to get much. He was quite intimidating and forceful. She's in an awful state right now. I'm taking her out and questioning her myself… Yes, I do…. No, Ben, I'm taking her…. If she feels safe, I can get more intel, and she does not feel safe now…. No, I'm taking her. This is the best way… I'll let you know what I learn."

Devlin. One of the few people who could overrule any of Kendall's decisions. I guess the decision of what to do with Sydney was one that fits that category.

Jack was off the phone with Devlin and was staring at the floor, which made no sense to me until I saw Sydney. She was on the floor, sitting against the wall. She looked so lost and vulnerable. When she stared crying, my heart broke for her, but when she started talking, I felt even worse then before.

"Daddy? Daddy, where are you?"

Jack swiftly sank down to his knees in front of her in attempt to comfort her. "Sydney, I'm here. I'm right here. Shh, honey, everything is going to be okay, I'm here. Sydney, Daddy's here."

He couldn't get through to her. She just kept crying and calling for her Daddy to come. Jack was trying, but she just couldn't hear him. It was as if she was in another world. In a way she was. The world of her past was being revisited, and it was probably scarier then any make-believe world in a nightmare.

The look on Jack's face was one of a person who was missing something valuable, and I doubt that anyone has suffered the loss that Jack Bristow has. The man has gone through more than anyone should have to go through, worse then anything imagined by anyone. But he covers up his emotions so well, and I think that for once, I'm actually seeing the true Jack Bristow.

Jack's POV

She was calling for me, and I was right there. How many times as a child had she called for me, to no avail? My poor little girl was lost in so many ways. I had to help her find what she was searching for. I couldn't give her all the answers, but I would do right by this girl, if it was the last thing I ever did. I had failed her all these years, I had to do something right. I had to get her out of here first, and I think that I might just know the way.

"Daddy? Oh, Daddy, please come get me!" she cried

"Sydney, I'm here. Do you want to go for a ride?"

The crying stopped, and she looked up at me with a tear-stained face. "Really?" I nodded. "Okay. Do I need to go ask Mommy?"

She was still so confused. I decided to go along with it until I had a set plan.

"No, honey, I already have. She knows."

"Okay. Is Michael coming, too?"

I looked up at Vaughn with questioning eyes. The shock on his face was more then evident.

"I, uh… don't know honey. Let me go talk with Michael, okay?" I turned to Vaughn.

"Jack, do you think—"

"This is what we are going to do. I'm going to take her out of here. I have Devlin's permission, so Kendall can't stop us. Do you want to come with us? It's up to you."

"You need time alone with her. You can get her to talk."

"She trusts you, Agent Vaughn. She'll talk to you. You should come."

"You need to have some time alone with her. I'll meet you somewhere. Where are you planning on going?"

I wrote down the address and gave it to him. We planned on meeting in two hours.

"Come on, Sydney. Let's go."

"What about Michael? Is he coming?"

"Yes, Michael is going to meet us there later."

I helped her up off the floor and she took my hand. We walked out of the building together like that. It reminded me of the precious six-year-old I once knew.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Driving in the car on the way to our destination, Sydney had curled up in the front seat and fallen asleep. I was glad for that, because I needed to re-evaluate the situation and decide what my next move should be.

We were almost there, when she began to stir. She sat up and looked around, trying to recognize her surroundings and figure out where she was. Her confusion was evident, even more so when she began asking her questions.

"Where am I? Where are we going?"

"We're going for a ride."

She sighed with impatience, frustration clear on her face. "I can see that. Why are we going for a ride? Last thing I remember was answering questions for the son of Satan back in that prison cell. So you honestly believe that he's going to let you—let both of us—get away with this?" She was back, and just as stubborn as ever.

"We are going for a ride, because you needed to get out of that room. Agent Vaughn—"

"Michael? Where is he?"

"…and I decided this was best for you. You'll be staying at my house and will not be forced to speak to Kendall again, although there are still some questions I need to ask you. As for Kendall's approval, we don't have it, and we don't need it. Assistant Director Devlin has given me permission." Or as much permission as I need. "Agent Vaughn is planning on joining us later."

"Oh," she said as she turned and faced the window. We rode for quite a while afterward in silence.

Sydney's POV

I was out of that tiny room. Free, or at least in part. Everything had to start somewhere. I was getting to see more than just the tiny view from my barred windows. I was comfortable with the silence in the car, but the faint tinkling of music soon broke it.

"What is that?" I asked

"The carousel."

I looked over at the man sitting beside me. "The carousel?"

"Yes," he smiled. "Do you remember it? We used to come here quite often."

My dream from the other night came back. I now remembered where we were going that day, the day before I left with mom. He was taking me to the carousel.

"Yes, I do. It was my favorite thing to do with you. It was a special treat that I rarely got. I remember being so excited about going."

He pulled the car into the parking lot, and stopped. "Do you want to ride it?" he asked me.

"Really?" He nodded. "Sure, that would be fun. I want the black horse with the purple and pink jewels on the saddle."

"Do you remember that?"

I did, and I was equally as shocked as he was. All this "new" information seemed to be coming from nowhere. My forgotten past was beginning to resurface. It was welcome to come, I needed something I could believe in, but it also frightened me more than I could possibly express.

The line for the carousel wasn't all that long, so we got to the front quickly. Excitement was rising, and I found that I couldn't wait to do this. After so long I was finally back doing something that was an occasional routine for me, being with my father, and having a great time. It had been so long—too long—since that had happened.

The ride was short, but I didn't mind, because afterward I pulled Dad back into the line and we rode again. I think twice was enough for him though, so I didn't try for a third. This was the man I remember waiting for. Waiting for the sound of the door opening and the briefcase being set down on the floor so that I could run out of my room and jump on him for a hug. The man that gave me horsy rides through the house and took me out for good times and fun. I think that's what I missed at first when mom made me leave-- until I forgot all of it.

After the second ride was over, he started walking back to the car. I really had no other choice but to follow him, so that's what I did. "What are we doing?"

"I lost track of time. We're going to meet Vaughn."

"Oh," that was okay with me, but I was curious as to where we were going to meet him.

We got in the car, and drove away. After a few minutes, Dad pulled off onto a side street that was empty and stopped the car. There were no other cars around, and I had no idea what we were doing.

"I thought we were meeting Michael."

"We are, but I need to tell you something first. And give you this."

He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. When I had taken it, I realized it was a picture, and it looked awfully familiar. Then it clicked. It was the picture that I had drawn for him that day Mom and I left. I wondered for so long if he ever found it after I had left it on my bed for him. It was older and very wrinkled, but I would recognize it anywhere.

"Thank you," I told him as I stroked the picture and smiled up at him.

"You're welcome. I thought you might like to have it, and I had to let you know that I found it. I held onto that picture for so long, hoping that maybe... well it seems so foolish and ridiculous now, but I wished that you would come out of the picture and stay."

"You really wanted me that much?"

"Yes, I did."

I was on the verge of tears, so I remained silent and just stared at the picture, as he pulled back out onto the main road and continued in the direction we were traveling before.

I had no clue where I was, so I could not have known where we were going, but as soon as we pulled up to our destination, the smile on my face was huge. It was an ice cream stand, and ice cream was always welcome. Vaughn was already there waiting for us, cone in hand, so when the car was stopped, I got out, and waited for my dad to come around the car to me. When he did, he just smiled and said he would be right back.

"Hey," he said to me. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, it's just you scared me before your dad took you out of there. I'm glad you're okay."

I smiled. "What kind did you get?"

"My favorite kind, of course."

"Oh, and just what might that be?" I hated answers that avoided the question like that.

He smiled and shook his head. "You are nosy aren't you? It's pumpkin. The best kind that they have here."

"Pumpkin… ice cream?"

"Yeah. It's great. You should have some."

"No, I probably wouldn't like it. My favorite kind is…"

I didn't finish my sentence, because Dad came back with two cones. He handed one to me.

"Here's yours. It's chocolate chip cookie dough."

"That's… that's my favorite."

"I know. I remembered that. I never could understand how you could like it. I've always liked just plain chocolate myself," he said as he gestured to his cone.

I was happy that I wasn't the only one remembering things about each other, things from a better time. If only everything else had been so pleasant.

Jack's POV

Sydney seems genuinely pleased with the afternoon. A lot of it probably had to do with the fact that she was out of that small room. She did not seem to remember the episode earlier, and I was glad for that. We had a nice time together, and the ice cream was the perfect way to end it.

I would never tell her everything about her that I have remembered after all these years, at least not now anyway, but I needed to say something.

"Sydney, I—"

The look on her face made me stop. She had that far away look again, and right away, I began to worry. I did not want her to go through her memories again. It was too painful for her, and I couldn't stand to see her hurt. However, no matter how much Vaughn and I tried, we could not get her to come out of it. She wasn't really there with me, she was lost in the past. I wished I could be with her, to protect her from everything.

Chapter 5

"Mommy, I don't want to do this anymore! I hate this!" Sydney threw the book that was in front of her across the room. She glared at her mother, and got up from the table, going to her bedroom. She tried to shut and lock the door behind her, but her mother stopped her.

"Sasha, we've talked about this. I've been trying to teach you for almost two months now. You're a smart girl, I think you just aren't trying hard enough."

"No, and I won't! I don't need to speak another language. Can't you at least call me by my NAME??"

"Young lady, don't you raise your voice to me. If you keep this up, I'm just going to leave you all by yourself. Then you'll be sorry you were so mean to me, won't you?"

Sydney gasped, looking up at her mother with wide eyes as they stood there in the dim room. "Mommy, you wouldn't really do that. Please don't say that. I'll be good." She was trying not to cry, and succeeding, at least for the moment.

"Get your coat on, Sasha. We need to go out for a while."

"Out where? I actually get to come?" Sydney was not used to this. Usually when her mother went out, she went alone, leaving Sydney with a sour looking woman who lived nearby.

"Of course. You've been stuck inside so much, lately. You need to get out."

Sydney felt very confused. Just a moment ago her mother had been angry, now they were going out somewhere together as if nothing had happened. It made no sense, but she wasn't going to complain about being allowed out of the house. Just before putting her coat on, Sydney checked her pants pocket to be sure the picture of her father was nestled safely inside. She kept it with her all the time, though her mother would probably disapprove if she knew. Sydney saw the anger in her mother's eyes every time she said the word "Daddy."

Moments later, they were in the car and on their way. Sydney asked where they were going. Her mommy would only say she would see when they got there. The ride was short, but Sydney still didn't recognize the building when she saw it. She'd never been here before, and the building looked very large to her. She made no move to get out of the car, and finally her mother urged her on.

"This place looks so big, Mommy. What is it? What are we doing here?"

"This is the train station. We aren't going anywhere, but I used to like to come here when I was little, to watch all the people. I thought you might like it, too."

Sydney finally smiled, and got out of the car. She held onto her mommy's hand as they went inside. She felt a little nervous when she saw the inside. It WAS big, and she was so small...

"Mommy, you won't let us get lost, will you?"

"No. I've been here a lot of times, remember? We'll be fine, I promise." She smiled down at Sydney and ran a hand through her hair. "Now come on, let's go find a good place to watch everyone."

Within a few minutes they found a bench that was in a good spot to watch the people come and go. They sat there for she didn't know how long, talking and observing. Then, her mommy stood up.

"Sasha, you wait right here for me. A man over there is selling the newspaper and I should get one. I'll be right back."

Sydney smiled and nodded, but decided to watch her mother as she walked away. Sydney saw the man selling the papers, and watched as her mother reached him and bought the day's paper. Then, instead of turning around to come back to the bench, her mother turned the other way and continued walking. Sydney felt a little nervous, but thought her mother just needed to do something else before coming back. When she wasn't back within the next few minutes, Sydney decided to get up and look for her.

She looked around carefully as she walked. Once she passed the newspaper stand, she slowed down even more, looking for anywhere her mother might have gone. Soon she spotted a restroom, and went inside to see if her mother was there. There were several other women there, but none of them was her. She called out once, with no answer. She left again without another word.

She walked on a bit further, but saw no sign of her mother anywhere. She decided to go back to the bench, thinking her mother may have returned there and would be looking for her, too. But when she got there, she found only strangers. She sat down and felt ready to cry. But she wasn't going to do that here, out in public.

Sydney was afraid now. It had just occurred to her that her mommy might still be mad at her after all. She had said that if Sydney didn't start being good, she would leave her.... Sydney shook her head, trying to push the thought out of her mind. It lingered in the background, whispering that her mommy might never come back. Then, she did start to cry. Almost without realizing it, she reached into her pocket, carefully taking out the picture of her father.

Just seeing her Daddy's face, even in a picture, made Sydney feel better. She slowly stopped crying. She wished she was back home, her real home. That was why she fought her mommy so hard about all the lessons... she thought if she refused long enough, her mommy would know how much she hated it here and take her home.

By the time Sydney looked around again, she saw by the dim light coming through the windows that night was coming soon. How long had she been here? Sydney didn't know. But she could tell time, and she remembered roughly what time they had left home. So she went in search of a clock to find out how long she had been here.

Soon enough, Sydney spotted a clock high up on the wall. After studying it for a few seconds, she figured out that it said 5:30. They had left home around 3, and gotten here soon after. Sydney's fear grew as she realized that very soon she would have been alone for two whole hours.

Sydney looked down at the picture of her father again, beginning to cry. "I miss you so much, Daddy." she whispered. "I wish you could come get me out of here. Mommy might never come back."

The little girl sat down again, trying to think what to do next. She thought about finding another grown-up, to tell them she couldn't find her mommy. Then she paused. Everyone here spoke Russian, she was sure. At least anyone who might be able to help. So far, Sydney had only learned a handful of Russian words, because she resisted her mother's efforts at teaching her as much as possible. So she was stuck, and completely alone. Not to mention that by now she was more than scared. She was terrified.

Clutching the picture even more tightly, Sydney decided she didn't like being out around so many people. When she cried, she liked to be alone. She got up and headed for the restroom again. She knew she wouldn't be completely alone there, but it would be better, at least. As she went inside, Sydney was glad to find only two other people there. She silently went inside a stall, locking the door behind her. Then, she sank to the floor, pulling her knees to her chest.

She cried as quietly as she could, staring all the while at the picture she was holding onto so desperately. If only her daddy were here, she knew he could fix everything. She'd get to go home, and go back to her old school. Even better than that would be being back in her very own room, with her daddy there to hug and kiss her goodnight, at least as much as he could.

Finally, Sydney had no more tears. She was sleepy, too. Not wanting to move from the spot, she simply curled up right where she was and closed her eyes. In less than five minutes, she was asleep.

Fifteen minutes later, and after three hours of being left alone, Irina woke Sydney up. Sydney, startled, sat up and clutched the picture of her Daddy closer to her chest.

“What is that, Sweetie?” Irina asked.

“Nothing, Mommy. I was so scared, you got lost and I couldn’t find you anywhere. But Daddy helped me be brave.”

At the word, “Daddy” Irina’s eyes flashed with anger and hatred. “How did Daddy help you?” she asked in a voice that covered all her emotions.

“He was with me. See?” She held out the picture.

Before Irina could even get a good look at the picture, she took it. She knew what it was. Forgetting Jack was the only way to get Sydney to cooperate with her plans, and with that picture, she was just going to be reminded and keep resisting.

“Come on, Sydney. We’re leaving now.”

“Can I have my picture back, Mommy? That way I can be with you and Daddy at the same time.”

Irina coldly replied, “No, you can’t have it back. You do not need your father anymore. We just need each other.”

“But Mommy, everyone needs a Daddy—“

“Stop it, Sydney!”

Sydney whimpered but otherwise remained quiet. Why was her mommy being so mean to her? She was scared and she wanted her picture back, but all she could do was follow her mother and see what was going to happen next.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Two weeks later, Sydney lay on her bed. She heard a knock on her bedroom door, and she invited the person in. Irina walked in and looked down at her with a smile and questioning eyes.

“What’s wrong, Mommy?”

“Nothing dear. What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” came the typical reply.

“What have I told you about lying to me? What are you doing?”

“I’m… um, drawing a picture.”

“Is it for me to put up at work?” she smiled.

“No, it’s not for you, Mommy, but if you want one, I can draw you one next.”

“Then who is this one for?”

Sydney looked up, hesitant to answer the question, but her mother’s eyes were demanding an answer, so she told the truth. “I’m drawing it for Daddy.”

The swift change in her mother’s eyes scared her, and at first she was afraid that she would hit her, although she never had before, but her mother grabbed the picture and walked out of the room. After a few minutes, Irina called for her to come out to the living room and she obeyed.

Someone had started a fire, and it was burning full blaze. Sydney had always loved sitting by the fireplace and gazing into the dancing flames. She ran toward the fireplace, but was stopped by her mother’s hand. Looking down at her feet, she noticed a stack of papers.

“What is all this stuff, Mommy?”

“Things that need to be burned.”

Bending down, Irina picked up the stack, and began to hand her items. Sydney obediently placed them in the fire. They were only old newspapers and things that were uninteresting to a six year old. After a few minutes, Sydney noticed that her mother only held two more pieces of paper in her hands. She handed Sydney the first, and once Sydney realized what it was, she began to cry. Her tears were silent and she didn’t utter a single word.

“Throw it in, Sydney.” Her mother commanded.

With blurred vision, she obediently placed the drawing she had just spent hours on into the fire. She did not want to make her mommy mad at her again, because she was afraid of what might happen to her. She didn’t want to get lost somewhere again.

She turned and faced her mother, hands empty, eyes full and overflowing. The last piece of paper from the large stack was handed to her. It was the picture of her and her Daddy that her mother had taken from her at the train station. The only thing she had brought with her from home. The only reminder of her father she had. Now she was being asked to give that all up. That was something she couldn’t and wouldn’t do.

“NO!” she screamed as she ran from the room.

All she needed was a place to hide, and the first place that came to mind was under her bed. She quickly crawled under it, going as far back as she could. Curling up into a ball, she held the picture tightly to her chest. After lying there for a few moments, she heard her mother’s footsteps, then her angry voice.

“Sasha Katarina Derevko, get out from there now! I know that you are hiding from me, but it will not work.”

“My name is NOT SASHA! It’s Sydney Anne Bristow!”

“Young lady, don’t you dare argue with me. Get out here, now. And bring that picture with you. You can not keep it.”

“Why not? I want Daddy, and from here, this is the only way I can see him.”

“Your Daddy doesn’t want to see you. Why do you think we left? He does not love you or me, and he wanted us to leave. I love you, Sasha, and that’s why we came here—so that he couldn’t hurt you.”

“Daddy loves me! He would never hurt me! I want my Daddy! Daddy, please come and find me”

“Sasha—“

“NO! That’s not me! I want my Daddy! Leave me alone! I want my Daddy!”

wow!!!! this is one of he best fics ever... its truelly interesting! plez! u have to post more!!!! this is amazing!

Back