The Beginning

Hey everyone! The finale to "The Beginning" draws very near... I hope you all continue to enjoy this story. And I invite you to read my one-part story "The Burning Question" if you are looking for a good "quick" read.

I am currently working on another story called "No More Heroes" which will be based on events up through S4.

Many of you who are reading "Forgotten Past", I haven't forgotten about that story. I'm experiencing a bad case of writers block with that storyline.

Have a great weekend everyone!

~*~*~*~*~*~*

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The Morning’s Raven
</span>

“I don’t believe we’ve met.” Mikhail extended his hand.

Irina couldn’t believe the charade Mikhail was playing in front of Marina. She simply ignored his hand and left him hanging mid-air, “I have to go Marina, I promised my sister I would pick her up early.”

“But you said you’d go shopping with me.” Marina protested.

“You obviously had this planned—you and your new boyfriend. I’m not about to be the third wheel nor your alibi when your parents ask where you were overnight.” Irina quickly snapped, “So do what you want--I’m leaving, like I said don’t expect me to cover for you.”

Marina’s mouth nearly dropped open at Irina’s words. She had never seen her friend so bothered before, but she knew that every word out of Irina’s mouth was true.

“Listen, I don’t want to cause a rift between you both. I didn’t know that was what Marina was doing—I mean—I was fully aware her parents don’t allow her to date, but I didn’t think it was to this extent.” Mikhail quickly intervened.

“Oh cut the gentleman felgercarb.” Irina let out a quick breath and quickly turned to walk back down the hall.

Mikhail looked at Marina, “You know, maybe you should go. I’ll see if I can get her to calm down.”

Marina smiled, “You’re so sweet.” She planted a quick kiss on his cheek, “I’ll see you tomorrow. And thanks for helping us out.”

Mikhail ran down hall only to see Irina had disappeared from the school courtyard grounds. Making his way to the exit, he could see Irina walking down a deserted street.

“Irina!” he yelled, but to his expectations Irina ignored him. He finally caught up to her and quickly grabbed her arm.

“Get your hands off of me!” Irina punched him in face.

“Dammit!” he yelped in pain and held on to his nose. “Nice shot.” He began wiping blood of his face, “Why the hell do you have to be so stubborn?!”

“I don’t think stubborn was the word you were thinking.” She hissed.

“Well I’d hate to see what would happen if I did actually say it.” He pressed lightly on his tender nose. “I wanted to apologize for everything.”

“You wanted to apologize—for putting my life and my sister’s life in danger.” She scoffed, “Knowing this whole time your father was a damn obsessive compulsive freak who believed that some 400 year-old Nostradamus that predicted my life. I hardly think so, Mikhail. Life is what we make of it. So I suggest you stay out of my life and away from my family.”

“Listen—I was the one who asked Vera to send you away. I know what my father was capable of and my mother…well…she wasn’t in her normal state of mind. I knew you were gonna run away, regardless of what happened. You would never let any harm come to your family. Still, none of it matters now…my parent’s are dead anyways.”

“What? Now you expect me after hearing your “sob” story that I’m gonna throw you a pity party and pretend everything is fine?” Irina expression remained angry.

“No, I don’t expect anything from you…I just wanted to apologize for everything.” Mikhail shook his head. “I wasn’t supposed to tell you this, but I’m going to.”

“We’re done. This conversation is over, understand? So don’t try to keep my attention by spilling out dramatic stories.” She glared. “And in regards to Marina—she may not be the wisest person when it comes to guys, but if I find out you’ve even come close to hurting her…I’ll make sure you get a permanent family reunion.”

“I’ve finally come to see you’ve embraced your inner b****.” Mikhail reacted to Irina’s threat.

“If you only knew what else I’ve come to embrace.” Irina sneered and made her way back home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“About time you got home.” Katya was in the kitchen cooking as her sister walk through the door.

“Didn’t know you kept tabs on me.” Irina threw her books on the floor and walked to the kitchen.

Katya finished chopping up some carrots and gathered them up before Irina could snatch one from the cutting board. “What happened?” she said, as she stirred the carrots into the soup.

“Remember Mikhail?”

“You’re s***ing me?” Katya cursed. “You saw that freak?”

“Oh that’s not the best part—Marina’s dating him.”

“Remind me again how you pick your friends?” Katya teased, then continued. “Damn that girl gets around.”

“Takes one to know one.” Irina stuck her tongue out.

Katya threw a piece of onion at Irina and a small food fight had spung in the kitchen. Their actions were quickly ceased by a knock on the door.

“I’ll get it!” Elena ran down the stairs and nearly tripped over the last step as she reached out for the doorknob.”

“Elena! Don’t answer---” Katya began to scold, but was too late. “Nevermind.”

“Can I help you?” Elena blinked her eyes to the men standing at her doorway.

“Does Irina Derevko live here?” one of the men asked in a childish tone.

“Depends on what the purpose your visit may require.” Elena responded in such a proper tone for her age, the man who had spoken to her chuckled.

“Well—why don’t you just give her this.” The man smiled. “And have a good day.”

Elena smiled, then slammed the door closed, “Loser.” She ran to the kitchen and handed Irina the letter.

“What does it say?” Katya peeked over her sister’s shoulder and Irina tore the letter open.

Irina unfolded the letter, “Its says:

“We would like to congratulate you on your performance score in this year’s entrance exam. Due to your outstanding accomplishments, we would like to compensate and recognize your achievements tomorrow at 8:00pm at the auditorium. Please feel free to invite any family to this event.”

“What entrance was that?” Katya gave Irina a confused look. “The one you took this morning? How in the hell did they get those tests done so quickly?”

“Good question. I thought that was just one of those competency exams they have us take every year. And even then I still forgot we had that stupid test today.” Irina placed the letter on the counter. “Now I’m just beginning to wonder what I’ve gotten myself into.”

There was no way I could have made it out there this week. As much as I wouldn't mind going to the beach. LOL.

Hope you had fun while you were here.

Uh oh.... I have a bad feeling about the entrance exam results... *nervously bits fingernails*

LOL, go Irina! Chew Mikhail out!

Great post, Crys. :smiley:

Tee hee... Elena calling him a loser. (Laughs hysterically) Wow, sounds like Caroline... :D

Awesome! That was really funny. And dramatic. And stuff.

Ahh, i just read the last two chapters and what a perfect ending!

I can't believe Mikhail showed up, lol what a jerk but he is redeemed slightly in the fact that he was the one who told Vera to help irina and Elena get away. well that is if he was being truthful lol.

Thanks for a wonderful read Crystal!
Erin

I want to thank you all for reading this story and for the endless comments you have given. Here is the finale to The Beginning -- despite of how I feel about this ending (I think not everyone will understand why I ended it the way I did) -- I hope you enjoy it.

Again, thank you and look for my new story "No More Heroes" coming soon.

~*~*~*~*

And here's a small synopsis of "No More Heroes"

When Jack’s only key to the ever twisted web of the Derevko family discovers the truth concerning the death of someone once close to their heart, he’ll quickly find himself caught between the fine line of betrayal and trust—and making the hardest decision of his life.

~*~*~*~*

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The Recruitment</span>

Irina placed her palm on the door of the auditorium entrance. The coolness of the wood ease her nervousness, but only for a moment.

“Come now, sweetheart”, her mother’s voice coaxed as her sisters’ eyes shined brightly in curiosity.

Air blew against their skin as Irina pushed the door open and walked down a narrow aisle, towards a brightly lit stage.

In the center seating area across the stage, they noticed a small group of parents and students chattering amongst themselves --never noticing Irina and her family taking a seat behind them.

Silence soon enveloped the room as 3 people approached a nearby podium in the center of the stage.

“Hey Rina!” Elena poked her sister in the shoulder, “Those were the 2 men that came by yesterday…but…I don’t know who that lady is.”

Irina nodded and turned her attention back to the stage.

“I would like to thank you all for coming.” A middle-aged man’s voiced crackled over the microphone. “Many of you must be wondering the reason to this celebration.” He paused, “For the last few years we have filtered only the best students in the U.S.S.R. through a series of exams given at various grade levels.”

Katya and Elena turn to Irina in surprise and then looked at their mother who was smiling with pride.

“I am giving you an invitation, upon your graduation, that you may come serve your country. If you so accept this invitation, any higher education you may seek will be paid and any immediate family will be financially taken care of.”

A low murmur among the parts and students filled the atmosphere.

The man exchanged places with a tall, slender female who’s ruby red lips stood out the most. “Are there any questions before we begin the agreements?”

A heavy set man pointed a pudgy finger in the air and directed the woman’s attention.

“You have spent all this time explaining the details of your invitation, however, you fail to mention the simplest of questions – who are you people?”

The woman nodded in agreement, “I am Agent Vrosky – behind me is Agent Ivanovich and Agent Kashinau. We are all agents serving the KGB.”

A loud murmur once again rang through the walls of the auditorium.

“Having said that, we will now continue with the signing of the agreements”, Agent Vroksy broke through murmur in the auditorium. “May I have a parent and student come up to the stage?”

Irina stood up from her seat and signaled her mother to stand as well.

Quietly, they shuffled past the seats to the aisle towards the stage. Irina and her mother parted to separate tables, each with a few papers to sign.

Once they were finished, Irina’s mother retreated back to her seat while Irina shook hands with all the agents.

“Welcome to the KGB,” Agent Kashinau smiled as he shook her hand. “I look forward to working with you, Miss Derevko.”

Irina just smiled and made her way down the stairs.

“Congratulations, Irina.” A voice in the shadows whispered.

Adjusting her eyes to the darkness, she found herself looking back at a familiar face.

“Just proves you’re even more exceptional than when I first saw you.” Mikhail bowed slightly and quietly began to walk away, “I hope this is the beginning you always wanted.”

wow.....thats is all i can say.......really good chapter.......i really enjoyed this story.......

can i get a pm when u post ur next story plz???

thx for the pm ^_^

Mikhail is a sneaky little devil isn't he. Loved this story, of course i want to be pm'd for your new one.

I love the idea for The Beginning, tracing Irina's life just prior to her recrruitment, to see what led her to where she ended up.

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
E

so... so short how 'bout u make a fic of what was her life like in the KGB and how did she feel when she was sent to america to marry jack... and how she started to love him, but she forced herself not to love her but to concentrate on her mission... it could start with "Laura in her room with jack" and Laura having like flash back of the training procces in the KGB

...I have good ideas but I just cant write

Nice Ending Crys, loved the whole story and totally understood the ending. Thanks and could you PM me when you start the next fic. Thankies :D :D :D

Back